Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Where is Obama on human rights?
    "BEIJING – Nine men have been executed for taking part in ethnic rioting that left nearly 200 people dead in July, the first suspects put to death in the unrest, Chinese state media reported Monday....'We don't think they got a fair trial, and we believe this was a political verdict,' said Raxit, who serves as spokesman for the Germany-based World Uyghur Congress.

"'The United States and the European Union did not put any pressure on China or seek to intervene and for that we are extremely disappointed,' he said."

China executes 9 suspects over July ethnic riots - Yahoo! News

Elsewhere: "The U.N. Human Rights Council is a human rights catastrophe. So why did U.S. President Barack Obama decide this week that the United States would join it?

"Next month, the council will hold elections, with U.S. membership a foregone conclusion. This means that the United States will soon be sitting down with Saudi Arabia, Cuba, and China to talk about human rights. Not human rights in Saudi Arabia, Cuba, and China, mind you. But human rights in Israel and the United States."
    Obama's human rights fiasco | The Argument
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    ".'We don't think they got a fair trial, and we believe this was a political verdict,' said Raxit, who serves as spokesman for the Germany-based World Uyghur Congress.

Elsewhere: "The U.N. Human Rights Council is a human rights catastrophe. So why did U.S. President Barack Obama decide this week that the United States would join it?

"Next month, the council will hold elections, with U.S. membership a foregone conclusion. This means that the United States will soon be sitting down with Saudi Arabia, Cuba, and China to talk about human rights. Not human rights in Saudi Arabia, Cuba, and China, mind you. But human rights in Israel and the United States."
    A political verdict in China, are you kidding? The place where the case doesn't go to trial unless you are guilty. I guess these guys didn't confess and throw themseves on the mercy of the court

What's a guy to do, you can't talk about human rights in your own country and you won't get anywhere talking about rights in theirs. I expect rights in the US won't even rate a mention if the US keeps to the agenda
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 10, 2009, 08:06 AM

Obama's got a "plan" dontcha know... I'm sure he just wants to become part of the Human Rights Council so that he can "control the agenda" of the HRC and make policy that "makes sense".

Yeah... because he's been so good at doing that in the international community until now.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 08:12 AM

Hello George:

I'm confused.. You support torture, AND human rights??

Or, could it be that you support torture and the degradation of human rights depending on WHO is doing it??

I think that's it.

excon

Nov 10, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello George:

I'm confused.. You support torture, AND human rights????

Or, could it be that you support torture and the degradation of human rights depending on WHO is doing it???

I think that's it.

excon
    Actually, Obama clearly supports torture, depending on who's doing it. That's why he's willing to sit on the HRC with the likes of Cuba, Saudi Arabia and China
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Actually, Obama clearly supports torture, depending on who's doing it. That's why he's willing to sit on the HRC with the likes of Cuba, Saudi Arabia and China
    Hello again, Elliot:

Dude! That's like saying I'm a right winger because you and I talk. Really bizzaro, Elliot.. Maybe you should adjust your medication.

excon

Nov 10, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Elliot:

Dude! That's like saying I'm a right winger because you and I talk. Really bizzaro, Elliot.. Maybe you should adjust your medication.

excon
    Uh huh. His cozying up to the Castro Brothers, Chavez, Zelaya, Ahmadinejad and the rest of the petty dictators that he cowtows to over the past 10 months is just a coincidence. He doesn't REALLY support them.

Try reading a newspaper, dude.

Elliot
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 11:08 AM

President Obama is preparing for his trip to China where he will apologize for his attempted beggar thy neighbor policies. No doubt human rights will be paid due lip service . But the President's 1st mission will be to plead that the faucet of Chinese funding our debt remain open. How can he possibly pay for the radical takeover of 20% of the US economy without their help ?

The Chinese in turn need more time to convert their economy to domestic consumption. So deals will still need to be struck .The Chinese hopefully will remind the President that Smoot-Hawley was a failure that contributed to the world's plunge into the great depression.

The Uyghur's ? Regrettable collateral damage . No time to deal with them ;no time to see fellow Nobel peace prize winner the Dalai Lama .
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 12:24 PM

The Chinese gladly will continue to fund the economic destruction of the country that stands in its way; Obama's trip will be a striking success, with minimal lip-service given to reckless financial management.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Youth and Social Work in regards to human rights and rights of the child [ 4 Answers ]

I have had to research two documents out of 4 and explain from these documents how both these documents work with clients in a fair just humane and positive manner? The two documents that I have studied are The universal declarationof human rights and the un convention on the rights of the child: ...

Drugs test human rights parenting [ 4 Answers ]

I was investigated for drugs use following the birth of my daughter due to an allegation made. Social services closed the case satisfied that the allegation was wrong. It had come from a memer of my family who is quite unwell and contines to cause problems in my hoe life. The social services...

My employee (and human) rights abused [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I live in VA and my boss at this store I worked at denied me health benefits that I was qualified for and I signed up for during open enrollment. When I asked about it he made a racial comment towards me. He also encouraged other employees to racially harass me. He's also threatened to beat...

Obama and his Pro-Gay Rights Agenda [ 24 Answers ]

Of course, everyone that is a legal citizen of this country is entitled to their legal rights. However, there are a number of citizens who differ when it comes to presidential support for gay rights. How do YOU feel about this matter that Obama supports? Obama would use 'bully pulpit' to advance...

What's more important, human rights or national security? [ 7 Answers ]

Take for instance MoveOn.org-inspired human rights position and one of the adherents to its philosophy, Jimmy Carter. Jimmy Carter abandoned our ally the Shah of Iran because he was insufficiently democratic, and the results: An even less democratic government that wants to destroy us. Apply...

View more questions Search