Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 04:47 PM
    system of equations
    how do you solve this problem for system of equations?

0.2x=0.5y=0.1
    0.4x-0.2y=-1
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 03:00 AM
    Hi!

I'm assuming that the first = in the first equation should be a + or -, otherwise it is trivial.

You need to multiply one of the equations so that you can add or subtract them both to eliminate one of the variables, then you can get the value of the other variable, and use that value to infer the value of the other one.

So in your example, you could multiply all the numbers in the top equation by 2 (so you have 0.4x in both equations), then do the top equation minus the bottom one, solve the equation you get for y, then infer x by plugging your y value into one of the other equations.

Then you can use the equation you didn't plug into in order to check your answer.

Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Half equations [ 2 Answers ]

write a half equation for the following redox reaction Ni + 2Ag+ - Ni2+ + 2Ag ? How do you do it ?

Trig equations [ 1 Answers ]

solve the following for 0 is less than or equal to x which is less than or equal to 2pie sinxcscx-cscx+2sin=0

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

Thermochemical equations [ 1 Answers ]

I have been given this thermochemical equation: http://images5.theimagehosting.com/chem2.1.JPG and I need to calculate the quantity of heat liberated by the reaction of 50.0g of N2O(g) with excess NH3(g) and also the quantity of heat liberated by the reaction that produces 50.0g of N2(g) ...

How do you do these equations? [ 1 Answers ]

-x+(5-x)=1 and 13-(-2x+)+8 and 3x-7(x-1)=-3(2x+3)

View more questions Search