Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brooklyn31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 01:41 AM
    Bank account garnishment
    My husband and mine's joint bank account has been garnished by a debt collector seeking money from a credit card that was only in my name along with now the law suit. Can they garnish my husbands personal account if our joint account has no money? Also if we were to divorce and the debt is only in my name and I file bankruptcy can they go after my soon to be ex husband for the money owed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2009, 05:08 AM

They can only attach assets that you are listed as an owner on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Garnishment from bank account [ 5 Answers ]

Hi this is my firs time at this site and need help. My mother receives social security every month which is direct deposit into her bank account. I am on the account also as her payee, I have a garnishment against me, my question is, can they legally take her money if my name is on the account?

Bank account garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has some whoppers. ONe for around 10k and one for around 5k. I have a small credit card debt of $500. At what level can our bank account be garnished and should I take her name off our joint account?

Garnishment of Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

I reside in Pennsylvania. Presently, I am on Social Security Disability. I believe that a creditor from 1998 has taken money out of my bank account without my authorization. Is that legal? I thought in Pennsylvania they can only garnish for CS and taxes. Can anyone clarify? Thank you.

View more questions Search