Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelliokc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Whole house cold water pressure drop off,public water pvc pipes
    Hi!
    I searched the forums and didn't find my exact problem.

So at every faucet in the house, the cold water drops off after initial turn on. House is on the public water main and was plumbed with PVC pipe. Just turned 5 yrs old

I am guessing I have some kind of obstruction? There is a main shut off in the front hall closet and that is also where the pressure valve is, I think...

I can switch out a faucet but am a little clueless on how the whole house plumbing thing. I do have a key to shut off the water at the main.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Hi Kelliokc...

I'm wondering if that "pressure valve" in the closet is a pressure regulator valve... see image below. If it is a pressure regulating valve then the strainer/filter may be clogged with sediment and it will need to be cleaned. Here, you can shut off the main water supply, drain the water from the pipes and then try to access the strainer/filter assembly inside the valve... see image again... ;)

If you attempt this, plan on using two wrenches. One wrench to loosen the strainer plug and the other to hold against yourself and reduce the chances of disturbing another joint/thread.

Once you gain access to the strainer/filter, use a pair of needlenose pliers to grab the strainer and pull it out to wash/clean. While the strainer/filter is out PULSE the water main to allow water through the pressure regulator and blow out any loose sediment in the main.

After all is clean you will want to reassemble the unit and test how all worked out. If the result is poor in any way, you want to plan on simply replacing the entire pressure regulator valve. It usually spins off and can be reconnected to the water main WITHOUT SOLDERING if needed. Let us know if you want to discuss this more.

Otherwise, if I'm off here, let us know a little more about that pressure valve in the closet... a picture would really help.

Back to you...

MARK
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 07:19 PM

You said cold pressure drops, what about the hot pressure, does it remain good?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden drop in water pressure- entire house affected. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi guys (and gals), I own a 2 story house that was built in 1982 or so. We are on a well and have poly butylene pipes w/ copper fittings. We have lived in the home for about 8 months, and the water pressure has always been pretty good if only one outlet was being used, but if you ran both...

Low cold water pressure/how to flush pipes [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old house with two separate electric water heaters (both in attic) that service their respective sides of the house. One side of the house seems to have adequate hot/cold pressure and duration. The other has limited hot duration and next to no cold water pressure--hot pressure is...

Hot water in cold pipes and leaking pressure relief. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a problem with hot water coming out of the cold water lines. The problem is twofold. I have a recirculation pump that recirculates hot water back to the tank for instant hot water at all taps. About 6 months ago the pressure relief valve started leaking around a gallon of water over 2...

Low cold water pressure in half of house [ 1 Answers ]

I've been installing insulation under my house - there's a narrow crawlspace, so I'm sure I've knocked something about. When I got out, I had no cold water coming to our washing machine and the water pressure in the kitchen is extremely low. Here's the weird part, the hot water works in the washing...

View more questions Search