Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Nov 8, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Ways to learn French
    So, suppose I learn 3000 words in French. Would I recognize what a francophone is saying? If I wouldn't, how could I learn to? Do I learn how to pronounce these 3000 words in French? And after all that, suppose my understanding of French grammar is "okay", would I be able to have francophones understand me and myself understand francophones?
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Nov 18, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Try using this site, I'm using it to work on my German and it has many other languages.

French I Tutorial: Basic Phrases, Vocabulary and Grammar

Start with basic phrases then work your way up. Remember to be patient and don't get discouraged. Mastering a language is difficult and takes years of practice. I speak, read and write French so if you need a translation to English, let me know.

Nov 19, 2009, 02:32 PM
    You didn't answer the question, but thank you for the website. I will definitely take advantage of that at one point.
    YoungHyperLink Posts: 152, Reputation: 13

Nov 20, 2009, 05:44 PM

Hamworld, I can't quite get at what's behind your question, but if you're questioning a course that offers to teach you 3,000 words of French, I'd skip it. A real grasp of any language just requires a lot more dedication, in my opinion.

Such a course would probably give you enough knowledge to read French, but probably not enough to write it--or understand it, which has been the hardest part for me. That requires hours of dedicated practice and expanding your vocabulary.

Don't mean to make it sound tedious, because I've enjoyed it very much, but there are always hard spots; no pain, no gain.

By the way, Livemocha.com is what I use--it has a very helpful French community who will correct your exercises and converse with you, and it's all free.

Wonder if I addressed what you were talking about?

Nov 21, 2009, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungHyperLink View Post
    Hamworld, I can't quite get at what's behind your question, but if you're questioning a course that offers to teach you 3,000 words of French, I'd skip it. A real grasp of any language just requires a lot more dedication, in my opinion.

Such a course would probably give you enough knowledge to read French, but probably not enough to write it--or understand it, which has been the hardest part for me. That requires hours of dedicated practice and expanding your vocabulary.

Don't mean to make it sound tedious, because I've enjoyed it very much, but there are always hard spots; no pain, no gain.

By the way, Livemocha.com is what I use--it has a very helpful French community who will correct your exercises and converse with you, and it's all free.

Wonder if I addressed what you were talking about?
    No course. I want to learn 3000 words by myself. I don't need $100 flashcards. Why was understanding French the hardest part for you? Is not being able to read French the same as understanding it? Could you not learn to write French by reading it? I've written two short stories and yet I have a "talent for writing". I just think I'm good at mimicking other authors' writing styles(novels, heh). I wonder if the words you were studying were not used by francophones(or did they keep using phrases you haven't bothered learning?).
    YoungHyperLink Posts: 152, Reputation: 13

Nov 22, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    Why was understanding French the hardest part for you? Is not being able to read French the same as understanding it? Could you not learn to write French by reading it?
    Yes, I taught myself to read French without the help of any hundred dollar program, too, and I think I can read and write it passably. Understanding the spoken language is what's hard for me, although I can speak it without much of a problem. It takes my ear quite a while to recognise the words and phrases I already know when spoken by someone else, not to mention any words or phrases I haven't learned. But that may be a problem peculiar to me. Anyway, I intend to keep studying French (and English!) the rest of my life; that's one enjoyment that won't run out on me too quick. Alors, bonne chance a toi, j'attends que tu le trouveras joli, toi aussi!
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandaughter of French Citizen Believes Eligible for Dual Citizenship (French/USA) [ 1 Answers ]

I recently visited my Aunt (in California) and she gave me a sparse amount of information to the effect as follows: 1.) Even though I was born in California and live in Washington State, because my grandmother was a French citizen that never naturalized American (never became and American...

Best ways to learn math other then paper and book [ 1 Answers ]

I want to explore other possibilities for me to improve my math skills. I'm already well familiar with the book, paper, and pencil way. I want to know other ways. I'm in 7th grade this year. I want to start learning quadratic equations. What are some good websites on them? Thanks in advance! :)

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

View more questions Search