Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Cooktops and cast iron
    I'm in the market for an electric cooktop and I like using cast iron cookware. I spent the summer at a friends house who had a GE smoothtop cooktop the manual for which had a long list of no-nos for the types of cookware that shouldn't be used with it including cast iron. I liked the idea of a smoothtop until reading the manual - they seem too bloody fragile and scratch prone.

So, then I got to thinking I'd get an electric coil cooktop instead and switch the elements out to solid elements which I saw years ago were available as replacements. Now that I'm looking for them, I can't find any.

Questions:
    Does anybody make a solid element cooktop or the elements?
    Anyone use cast iron with their smoothtop - comments?

Update:
    I found Westinghouse makes solid element cooktops (PHP255W and PHP255S). Also, another option for smoothtops would be using a heat diffuser.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Can I cut a cast iron tee wye after the hub? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace a toilet drain and think it would be easier to cut into the tee wye after the hub. Then reconnect the drain with PVC and fernco couplings. The lead bend that was originally installed 40 plus years ago does not sweep as lead bends I've seen before causeing a slow flush. That is the...

Cast iron vertical from cast iron horizontal can be pvc? [ 2 Answers ]

A leak developed in the main cast iron vertical stack of pipes leading to the horizontal main drain. Unfortunately, for me, the leak was so close to the ground that I had to break the concrete slab of the house. At that point, it just made sense to dig an extra 4 inches or so and remove the bad...

Cast Iron to PVC [ 1 Answers ]

Hello plumbing genius! I am new to the AskMe Helpdesk but I have read many of your other threads and it sounds like you know what you are talking about. I bought a money pit of a house made in 1959, and it seems like when I want to fix something pretty simple, it turns into a long and drawn out...

DWV cast iron cut [ 1 Answers ]

1) What's the best way to cut a 4" cast iron soil pipe that is against the wall of the house so I can't get a snap cutter chain around it? related: 2) Is there an adapter to connect 3" pvc (toilet drain) to a 4" cast iron hub on the main stack? Thanks

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.