Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssbass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 01:19 PM
    Inheritance
    My father passed away and I am inheriting a large amount of money. I am married and live in California and want to know if this will be community property or is it exclusively mine?
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Nov 7, 2006, 01:35 PM
    http://www.kinseylaw.com/clientserv2...greements.html -- has a lot of interesting info -- Ace
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Hello ss:

I don't know, but I do have an opinion. Certainly, since it's a large amount of money, you're not going to take an exconvicts word.

Assuming that you had no pre nup, it's community property. What you owned before you entered the marriage is your separate property. What you earned/inherited during the marriage belongs to both of you.

Isn't she lucky?

excon
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 7, 2006, 02:59 PM
    I respectfully disagree. An inheritance is sole and separate property and not community property. It should remain separate as long as those funds are not co-mingled with community assets. I am 99.312% sure of this. (I always leave myself a weasel factor).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2006, 04:16 PM
    Yes normally they are not, but since it is large amount, you need to see about various ways to transfer the money to be the less tax penalty.

So for a large amount, hire an attorney,

But is there a reason that you would not want this to be joint property, are you and your spouse having trouble?
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Nov 10, 2006, 07:46 PM
    In Texas inheritance is NOT community property. (I am divorced). I used some of the money to pay off our debts and do things around the house and kept the documentation. I got it back out of the divorce. Inheritance is untouchable to the spouse but you need to keep records of how you spent it to prove it was for the betterment of the family and whatever. Ask a lawyer in your state.
    bowman2020 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 12:55 PM

FAMILY.CODE
    SECTION 770-772

770. (a) Separate property of a married person includes all of the
    Following:
    (1) All property owned by the person before marriage.
    (2) All property acquired by the person after marriage by gift,
    Bequest, devise, or descent.
    (3) The rents, issues, and profits of the property described in
    This section.
    (b) A married person may, without the consent of the person's
    Spouse, convey the person's separate property.

771. (a) The earnings and accumulations of a spouse and the minor
    Children living with, or in the custody of, the spouse, while living
    Separate and apart from the other spouse, are the separate property
    Of the spouse.
    (b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the earnings and
    Accumulations of an unemancipated minor child related to a contract
    Of a type described in Section 6750 shall remain the sole legal
    Property of the minor child.

772. After entry of a judgment of legal separation of the parties,
    The earnings or accumulations of each party are the separate property
    Of the party acquiring the earnings or accumulations.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2009, 10:07 AM

- it belongs solely to the OP (from my understanding) UNLESS AND UNTIL she co-mingles it with other joint funds, such as placing it in a joint bank account.

It must be held separate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

I'm receiving an inheritance from Germany of about $260,000 (after Germany's taxes). What are my federal tax ramifications? (I live in Wyoming). What is the best way to minimize my taxes?

Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

I would like find out what inheritance of divorced couples and one is re-married:confused:If my pension will be divided between two husband even #1 not in my will?

Inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

My husband's grandmother past away over 3 months ago and we are still awaiting the inheritance for him and our children. The lawyer is giving us quite a run-around, and we don't have the best relationship with his other family members. How long does it typically take to receive a check when it is...

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

My husband will be receiving an inheritance from an Aunt who past away. He will be receiving funds from a 401K account which we were told is all taxable and then from the sale of her home. Need some suggestions on how not to lose too much to Uncle Sam. Any help will be appericated.

Inheritance distribution? [ 3 Answers ]

I really was not sure where this really went, so I figured I'd ask here. In the past year my Grandmother passed away and since my father was already deceased, I was entitled to 1/4 of her estate. The papers have been drawn up and signed and I've been notified of the amount of money all the...

View more questions Search