Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kykatlover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 11:30 PM
    Worried cat owner
    Our cat Purr-Purr is about 9 years old. He is a normal cat through and through. Recently he has been showing signs of odd behavior. About a week or so ago he began urinating on my son's backpack. And then once without warning he defacated in the kitchen. He has been urinating more and more on the rugs, coats... anything left in the floor. And now he is showing signs of becoming very withdrawn and at times even non-responsive to our calls. For the past few days he hasn't had any appetite at all and has sleeps constantly. He has always used his litter box, had a healthy appetite and is a very loved and cared for cat. Please, can anyone help? :confused:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2009, 11:40 PM

He's not really an old guy yet. Have you taken him to the vet? He could have an infection of some kind. A vet check is the only way to find out.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 08:15 PM

I think this absolutely calls for a vet trip. While 9 isn't old, it's old enough to start having certain issues, and that kind of sudden change in behavior could definitely be medically-based. It could be behavioral also, but you need to check for medical reasons first.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Nov 13, 2009, 08:03 AM

My cat has similar problems but she's almost 16 years old. I would definitely call a vet to have him checked out. He could have something wrong with his sniffer (nose) that's causing him for urinate on things. And usually if there's something wrong with the nose there's something wrong with the brain. So I'd have him checked out just to make sure.
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Nov 13, 2009, 10:05 AM

Definitely go to the vet. It could be as simple as a urinary tract infection. However I had a cat that did that. Almost exactly what you are describing. Turned out to be kidney failure. She was 12 years old though. Don't mean to scare you, but usually when cats start acting strange there is something wrong. You don't want to wait too long, especially with a poor appetite. Not eating can cause a whole new set of problems. Try some really smelly canned food or even baby food meat to stimulate an appetite. I've even grilled my cat skinless boneless chicken breast that she would normally go crazy for. When she didn't, I knew it was bad. Let us know what happens. Good luck
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Nov 13, 2009, 03:32 PM

Please let us know what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I keep my pregnant cat ia a cage? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my queen is about 4 to 5 weeks pregnant and this is her 2nd litter. Can I keep her inside the cage? I used to put her in the cage when she first litter before. Is it okay if this time I keep her in the cage until she get labour?

Very sick puppy, very worried owner [ 3 Answers ]

Please help. My 10 week old mixed breed pup has been ill for three days. Friday night her belly was very big, but she seemed to act just fine. Saturday around noon she started with diarrhea and vomiting off and on for several hours. By Sunday (yesterday) she seemed almost back to normal, but...

Looking For children's Book 'The Fat Cat' [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to track down a children's picture book that I read as a child in the 80s. I can't remember the author, or specific title.. but it was something along the line of 'The Fat Cat' or 'The Hungry Cat'. I'm fairly sure it was published by penguin. The story followed the lines of a cat eating...

Super Worried cat owner! [ 2 Answers ]

OKay... so my family and I are HUGE animal lovers... especially cats. We have a knack for taking in stray animals. One day we found these two kittens in an abandoned trailer... I'm talking practically just born. They couldn't even open their eyes. We took them home (assuming the mother and others...

View more questions Search