Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scott hartsfiel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 11:11 PM
    Catholic Protestant marriage
    I'm protestant my wife is catholic and id like to marry her in her church. We said vows in vegas as I understand is not viewed as married in the church. Please give some advice
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2009, 11:37 PM

The obvious seems to be to talk with her priest, or if she has no church home, talk with a priest in the town where you live. I'm a Lutheran preacher's kid, and know that my dad would allow a religious ceremony (but not a wedding since he considered the couple already legally married) to sanctify the wedding vows. You might want to include a reception-type dinner or a catered party or even a potluck supper somewhere for your guests after the ceremony.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
    Hi, scott hartsfiel!

Would you like your marriage to her to be rocognized as being valid in the Roman Catholic Church, please?

Thanks!
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2009, 05:15 PM
    If you were married in a legal ceremony in Vegas, then this is still viewed as a legal marriage by the Church. It’s just that you haven’t been married by a priest of a particular religious denomination.

If you want to be married in a Catholic ceremony, then you will need to speak to a Catholic priest. The priest I think will assume that you are prepared to bring your children up as Catholics, and you’ll need to undertake a series of marriage preparation sessions with him.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 08:38 AM

Scott,

If you your marriage is a valid civil marriage, then your marriage is recognised by the Church. It is not a "Sacramental marriage" in the eyes of the Church.

The process, for you, would begin with both of you speaking with your local parish priest.

Conversion is not a simple step. The process is called "RICA" and both of you get to attend.

If you have already been baptised, then since one of the tenants of the Roman Catholic Church is: "One Baptism for the forgiveness of sins." Your Baptism will be recognized.

The RCIA process will take you through the "Beliefs" of the Church and it's history and traditions.

RCIA, ends at the Easter Vigil services. At that time you will be brought into the church (as a member of the community) and Baptised (If Needed) or "Confirmed".

You can also be married in the Faith at that time usually depending on the size of the RCIA class.

Some priests may also ask you to complete the "Canaan" process which is a premarital education process or they may not since you are already in a "Civil Marriage".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic marriage divorce' wanting to re-marry [ 7 Answers ]

I was married in the catholic church and now divorced. I've met a wonderful man who has asked me to marry him, and I'd like to get married by a priest or minister close to the catholic religion. I do not wish to obtain an annulment of my first marriage.

Catholic and Christian Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am Catholic and my fiancée is Protestant Christian. We plan to get married soon but we both agree that we want to give respect to each of our own beliefs. With this we agree that we have two weddings. The first one would be Catholic and with families only and the second one would be the...

Catholic marriage recognized after divorce? [ 1 Answers ]

Married in the Catholic Church and divorced many years ago. After 45 years and two subsequent marriages,(both deceased) I have reunited with my first husband. In the eyes of the Church are we still considered married?

Marriage - Catholic and Hindu [ 6 Answers ]

I am Catholic and my boyfriend is Hindu. When it comes to the Catholic church there are a lot of rules about marriage. A rule says that you can marry someone outside your religion if they sign a paper agreeing to raising the kids catholic. Is there a way around this rule? Is there a way to marry...

Can a child be baptized Catholic and Protestant? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a religious dilemma. I was raised Catholic and married a man who was baptized Methodist. He never went to church with his parents and they never taught him about religion, so he pretty much developed his own relationship with God, and does not agree with organized religion. He does not,...

View more questions Search