Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vulax1000 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 11:06 AM
    ARC Breaker troubleshoot.
    I was removing a small Sony cd player in master bedroom. It made a short/ spark, circuit breaker went off. Removed cd player; Went to pannel and turn on /reset breaker for Masterbderoom; I made a mistake by reset the next AFCI breaker which is for bedroom2 (dont know why,may be itchy finger :o )!
    Now Masterbedroom is fine But the light in bedroom 2 are off ;I tried to reset a few more time (with no load i.e. nothing plugged in, only builtin ceiling light) but no luck :confused: ? Is the AFCI of Bedroom 2 went bad? And how do I check it? Thank you for your help..
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 05:24 PM
    The only way is to open the panel and check the breaker's output with a voltage tester. Best to be sure what your doing in a live panel if your considering this.

The breaker can be defective, or loose in the panel, or the wire connected to it can be loose. Handling the breaker may have rattled a pre-existing condition.

Nov 7, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Thank you for your fast re[ply. :)
    The breaker did seem to be a bit loose ! If I turn off the main panel breaker and also stand off- ground... It should be safe , right? How much voltage am I supposed to read? And off which wires? Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 06:01 PM
    If you shut off the main, you have no voltage to test at the breakers, so extra caution is needed if you work in a live panel.

You will see the wire connected to the breaker terminal.

Should be 120 volts to ground or neutral.

Nov 7, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Or is it easier if I just replace the ARC breaker with the new one?
    Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 02:37 AM
    It may be easier but that may not be the problem, and Arc Fault breakers are very expensive.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 8, 2006, 11:57 AM
    I would test it with a cheap non-arc breaker to determine if the breaker was the problem or even place the suspect breaker to supply a good load.

What makes me suspecious is that you say you saw a spark! An arc breaker should operate too fast for a spark to be visible.

Nov 8, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Thank you all for your input.
    The spark happened with the Sony CD player (in the master bedroom), and after disconnect the CD player, I reset the Arc breaker, that circuit is OK.
    The problem is the Arc breaker (of bedroom 2);in the panel, happen to locate right on top of the Masterbedrom breaker ! Coincident or something make it got loose ? :confused:
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nov 8, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Did you find the cause of the breaker tripping?

Sounds like the suspect breaker is being closed in on a fault. I would look at the breakers that share a common split receptacle that has a fault (perhaps the one that originally tripped the breaker).

Nov 9, 2006, 03:02 PM
    I have not yet done it.
    Will try your suggestion with a cheaper non ARC breaker first.
    I should be able to turn off the master pannel and install the cheap breaker(same voltage and Amp), right?
    Thanks again.

Nov 9, 2006, 03:07 PM
    Yup. If your careful and you don't want to reset all the clocks, you can turn the trouble breaker off, pull the breaker (pop it out with a flat screwdriver), remove the conductor to the new breaker and plug it back in without tripping the mains.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshoot white-rodgers 1F86-244 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello... Looking for help here in South Florida. We have a White-Rodgers 1F86-244 thermostat hooked up to a 2 year old Trane air handler (don't have model number handy) that will not engage. We have an error message on display that says "filter" and when trying to engage the AC the snowflake...

Arc welding methods [ 2 Answers ]

I see electric welds with names that leave me wondering if I'm missing out on something I should have in my shop. What do the terms "flux", "mig" etc mean and what are the features of them? Thanks! Lonnie

How to troubleshoot thermostat? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Trane air handler and heater my thermostat just quit working (honeywell digital) no power nothing what's some things I can check. I replaced the thermostat with a new one and nothing happened. Thanks

ARC fault breakers ? [ 4 Answers ]

I see where the 2005 NEC requires ARC fault breakers on all bedroom circuits,lighting and wall recepticals. It appears that this is for new construction. Would this also apply to rewiring an old house? Thanks in advance. Tom

Arc fault breakers [ 4 Answers ]

I am wiring bedrooms and I know that in California the outlets need to be on an arc fault breaker. 2 questions 1. would there be any problem in wiring a couple of recess lights in the bedrooms on the same circuit with the outlets? 2. There is an outlet in the hallway opposite and outlet in...

View more questions Search