Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fal1018 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Hand tighten bolts through toilet leak
    I had a slow leak in my toilet which was originating from the base of the "fill tube". In order to replace I bought a flush valve kit and hand tightened as per instructions. I know you don't want to over tighten or you could crack the porcelin and have a real problem. My question is, can I use some plumbers putty under the rubber washers... or do I just need to tighten some more and hope for the best. The problem is you don't know if it is fixed or not until it is all back together. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 7, 2009, 09:26 AM
    By "flushvalve do you mean the flapper and overflow assembly? If it's the tank bolts that you're speaking of take a screw driver and tighten them up until the tank has a quarter inck of rock. It's important not to tighten the bolts that the tank has no give at all. The first person that leans back against the tank will crack the china next to thebolts and you'll be looking for a replacement. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange bolts make toilet sit at wrong angle [ 2 Answers ]

Previous owners put a bathroom in the rec room. When they installed the toilet flange (to the sewer) it was not aligned with the wall. The toilet sits at a crooked angle, not aligned to the wall. After removing the toilet - the flange that holds the toilet bolt-downs needs to be rotated so...

Toilet Floor Flange Screws loose and will not tighten [ 1 Answers ]

I had a leaking toilet wax seal. Pulled the toilet off cleaned all old wax. I noticed while cleaning wax off that two of the screws securing the floor flange to the subfloor (vinyl covering over a wood substrate) were loose and will not tighten up. I was told that perhaps the when they roughed it...

Water leak at floor near toilet mounting bolts [ 2 Answers ]

We noticed occasional water seepage on floor near one of the mounting bolts. I assumed it was a faulty wax seal, so, we removed the toilet bowl, and replaced the seal. We thought the matter was resolved, but, then we observed that especially when there is weight on the toilet, water gushes from...

2" shower trap: won't tighten anymore, no leak, but still a tad loose. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there. I am currently installing a 2nd bathroom in our house. The shower trap moves a little, but I can't tighten it anymore, and water does not leak when I stick a hose down the drain. Can I cover this up even though it moves it a bit? Is it supposed to move at the swivel point even when...

Toilet leak at mounting bolts [ 4 Answers ]

I have a mid-80's Crane toilet. I can not get it to stop leaking from the two mounting bolts. I've tried replacing the washers & bolts, cleaning the porcelein with scouring pad, and even using plumbers putty. Nothing works! I've tried tightening and loosening the bolts. I'm at my wits end and...

View more questions Search