Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsp1cjs Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Condominium by law changes procedure
    I live in a condo in NJ & the board wants to change the by laws. There has only been 1 meeting to discuss the proposed changes. Don't they have to have a meeting after changing the proposal, before voting on to discuss as owners? :mad: :confused:
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 7, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Probably. You have to dig out your copy of the by-laws (contained in the public offering statement) and carefully read the procedure that the board must follow to change the by-laws. It's all in there.

Nov 7, 2009, 07:28 AM
    I just found out my copy isn't a legal binding copy & I get the run a round trying to obtain a legal copy. I'll probably have to obtain myself & pay for it, but by that time they may have already been changed as voting already started & ends early Dec. My board sucks, they are trying to change the Quorum percentage to vote to 33% of 75 & that's just the start of it. :rolleyes: Thanks.
    Expert

Nov 7, 2009, 07:38 AM
    When you bought your condo you should have received a recorded copy of the by-laws as part of your title search. That would be a legally-binding copy. Check with the attorney who did the closing for you. You could also contact the title insurance company and ask them to get a current copy of the recorded by-laws. That might cost a few $$ but shouldn't be too bad.

Nov 7, 2009, 07:46 AM
    I have what I thought was binding but after showing it to someone they said it wasn't because it's not stamped with #'s. My attorney is no longer with it I'm afraid it's too late to get a copy, but I'm trying to get someone else who lives here look it up for me. I have 2 jobs & so much other stuff going on, it's hard to find time & most of the time talking to these old owners to make them understand is like hitting my head against a wall & a big waste of my time, but I'll keep trying. Thanks for your input.
    Expert

Nov 7, 2009, 07:54 AM
    The company that manages the condo association is required to keep an up-to-date copy of the by-laws on hand and allow any owner to see it at any time. Try there. If no luck, pull out your title insurance policy and call the agency that issued it. They'll get a copy for you.

Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2009, 08:37 AM

Have you spoken to other members about your concerns? The quorum change sounds to me like you have a disinterested owner community and the board is having trouble getting things done because they can't get a quorum at meetings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condominium Lease Law [ 1 Answers ]

Is it now a law that a condominium unit can be leased only ONE year at a time?

Condominium Board [ 9 Answers ]

Me and my wife and I are the only owners in a newly rehabbed condo development. The developer has disappeared and many of the units are incomplete and unsecure. How do we form a condo association and secure the units and take over the common areas that are being negelected ?

Condominium Law [ 5 Answers ]

I need to create a form for a prospective purchaser of a small condo community (14 units). Is it unlawful to ask for employment history and receive consent for a criminal background check?

California condominium law [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Southern Califonia in a condominum that is owned by my mother. Because my mom lives out of state, I have her power of attorney regarding the condominium. My question is, am I eligible to run for the Board of Directors? I've been very active in the condo community for many years, and...

View more questions Search