Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyefox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Capitalize or Expense
    Computer consultants fixed bugs and made enhancements to our proprietary software. The cost is large enough to capitalize but should I expense?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 7, 2006, 12:06 PM
    It depends on your tax situation for the current year and projected earnings for future years. If you expense it, you will save taxes for this year, and if you capitalize it the tax savings will come from depreciation in the future. If you are planning to get any type of loan in the near future, expensing that item might drop current income bellow an acceptable level. I hope this helps.
    tyefox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    It depends on your tax situation for the current year and projected earnings for future years. If you expense it, you will save taxes for this year, and if you capitalize it the tax savings will come from depreciation in the future. If you are planning to get any type of loan in the near future, expensing that item might drop current income bellow an acceptable level. I hope this helps.
    Yes, that helps, thank you. We are a non-profit so I will capitalize.
    isha_miranda Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyefox
    Computer consultants fixed bugs and made enhancements to our proprietary software. The cost is large enough to capitalize but should I expense?
    It is a expense. Not Capital

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital expense [ 2 Answers ]

Is the expense for developing a patent a capital expense? Would it still be a capital expense if I acquired it vs. developed it?

Accounting for promotional expense [ 1 Answers ]

I just opened a restaurant and gave away $4000 in sales the first day. I am not sure what journal entry to make. And should it be booked at cost or fair market value? My guess is that the debit entry would be Promotional expense ($) but I am not sure what the credit entry would be. Also,...

Additional Casualty loss expense [ 1 Answers ]

I claimed property loss for a fire in 2003 in 2004 and claimed losses not covered by the insurance on the building. We did not get back into the home until July 2005 and the insurance did not cover all of the trailer rental expenses. I paid over $8000 in 2005 that the insurance did not cover...

Moving Expense Deduction Help ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in May 2005 and got my Wife with me to Virginia. Then I changed my job and moved to Florida (1000 miles) relocation. 1) So can I deduct my Wife's air-ticket expense from India to USA ? I heard from my friend that a CPA told him we could deduct moving expenses "IF YOU OR...

View more questions Search