Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonkhan209 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Schedule of Expected Cash Collections; Cash Budget
    Problem 9-23 Schedule of Expected Cash Collections; Cash Budget [LO2, LO8]

Herbal Care Corp. a distributor of herb-based sunscreens, is ready to begin its third quarter, in which peak sales occur. The company has requested a $39,000, 90-day loan from its bank to help meet cash requirements during the quarter. Since Herbal Care has experienced difficulty in paying off its loans in the past, the loan officer at the bank has asked the company to prepare a cash budget for the quarter. In response to this request, the following data have been assembled:

a.
    On July 1, the beginning of the third quarter, the company will have a cash balance of $33,000.

b.
    Actual sales for the last two months and budgeted sales for the third quarter follow (all sales are on account):

May (actual)
    $

June (actual)
    $

July (budgeted)
    $

August (budgeted)
    $

September (budgeted)
    $

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Past experience shows that 24% of a month’s sales are collected in the month of sale, 68% in the month following sale, and 1% in the second month following sale. The remainder is uncollectible.

c.
    Budgeted merchandise purchases and budgeted expenses for the third quarter are given below:

July
    August
    September

Merchandise purchases
    $
    $
    $

Salaries and wages
    $
    $
    $

Advertising
    $
    $
    $

Rent payments
    $
    $
    $

Depreciation
    $
    $
    $

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merchandise purchases are paid in full during the month following purchase. Accounts payable for merchandise purchases on June 30, which will be paid during July, total $170,000.

d.Equipment costing $9,600 will be purchased for cash during July.

e.In preparing the cash budget, assume that the $39,000 loan will be made in July and repaid in September. Interest on the loan will total $1,000.

Requirement 1:

Prepare a schedule of expected cash collections for July, August, and September and for the quarter in total
    Please tell me how to calculate sale for May and June, it is not budgeted, but actual, I put actual, but it is not right. Just tell me what will be the sale of May. I am just stuck on it, rest of the parts are done. Please help me:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Nov 7, 2009, 04:15 AM

If you have done the workings for the rest of the problem, it should be clear to you as to how to go about with May and June Sales. In July you will collect 1% of May Sales and 68% of June Sales. In August you will collect 1% of June Sales. Try this out and you should be home
    moonkhan209 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rehmanvohra View Post
    if you have done the workings for the rest of the problem, it should be clear to you as to how to go about with may and june sales. In july you will collect 1% of may sales and 68% of june sales. In august you will collect 1% of june sales. Try this out and you should be home
    Thank you very very much. I tried this and it worked
    Dr Abdul Aziz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 02:29 PM
    What about if he manage to get overdraft loan from a bank. How tu put the entry in the cash budget. Is it an inflow or outflow ?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2012, 03:31 PM
    This is an old thread an assignment it does not call for you to add additional steps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash Collections Budget Problem [ 3 Answers ]

I would REALLY appreciate any help you could give me with this problem: Sales May 60,000 June 70,000 July 80,000 August 100,000 All sales are on credit. Records show that 60 percent of the customers pay during the month of the sale, 20 percent pay the month after the sale, and...

Schedule of Expected Cash Collections [ 5 Answers ]

Attached is the problem with my answers plugged in. I would like to have them verified. Also I do not understand Requirement #2 how would that be computed?

Cash Collections Budget [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working on this problem for three hours, and for some reason, none of my answers make sense. Could someone please help me find the correct answer? The problem reads: Cash Sales: March $30,000 June $45,000 Sept. $37,500

Expected cash collections-Managerial Accounting [ 1 Answers ]

A homework question is asking to create expected cash collections for September, but it breaks down cash sales and sales on account for July, August, September. July and August numbers are actual and sept are expected. My question is do I ignore the cash sales to prepare the expected cash...

View more questions Search