Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsexton76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 09:29 PM
    My Deceased Husband's Debt
    My husband died about a month ago and I have been going through our bills. He has no estate. He has some credit stuff that needs to be taken care of(that is in his name only. My name is not on anything.) Do I have to pay these bills?

Nov 6, 2009, 09:42 PM

What are the statutes in CO?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 09:58 PM

CO is not a community property state, but it is a marital property state. I am not a lawyer, but from what I can tell, you are not obliged to pay his credit card debts if your name is not on the cards.

Did he have a will? Are you the executor of the will? (The executor may have some responsibility to settle his debts.) Do you have a lawyer? If not, I suggest you consult with one.

Nov 7, 2009, 06:30 PM
    There is no will and no estate, but we have a house in both names ,but still a large moragage on it,can his credtios came after the house?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2009, 07:37 PM

Was the house held as joint tenants with right of survivorship? If so, the house passed to you outside the estate, so its not subject to creditors.

If he had no assets solely in his name, then just send the creditors a copy of the death certificate wit a letter stating there were no assets to pay any debts.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 12:26 PM

Just to clarify - any bills that are solely in his name should be paid out of the assets of his estate - these bills are not your responsibility. Now, you say he had "no estate" - do you literally mean that he had no cash, no checking account, no savings account, no stocks or bonds, no cars, no jewelry, and no life insurance payable to his estate? If that's true, then indeed you do not need to pay any of his debts, as he had no assets to pay bills with. But, if he did in fact have assets like these, then the creditors can try to collect by coming after them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probate Law: How do I sell a car whose title still has my deceased husband's name? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My father died in December rather unexpectedly. He and my mom lived in Louisiana (Napoleanic code, etc.), and my mom wants to sell their two old cars to get a newer model. However, my dad's name is on the titles of the two cars, not my mom's. How does she go about removing his name from...

Deceased husband's 401k [ 4 Answers ]

My husband passed away last year at age 42. He may or may not have a 401k, but I have no way of knowing. It was a controlling relationship and he had all that information. We separated right before he passed away, and his sister took all of the important papers. I have contacted 2 employers... one...

My husband's debt! [ 2 Answers ]

My husband maxed out two credit cards before we met. We are both young, in our early 20s, so I know that perfect credit is still a way off. My credit is in good standing, I have paid off all my debts and am working on paying off one bill now. My husband's debt is much worse, though. We've...

Why am I responsible for deceased husband's debts [ 1 Answers ]

Why is community property only considered community when it comes to paying the debt? My husband had his own credit cards, I couldn't use them. He passed away, and the creditors want me to pay them, they're shouting community property, although I can't and couldn't use them in California ...

My deceased husband's credit card debt [ 8 Answers ]

My husband passed away at the end of last May. Since that time, I have diligently tried to pay off all his outstanding debts. His credit card with Chase had a substantial balance. I have already paid off about$5000 (which would have been greater if they hadn't hiked the interest rate to 27%). My...

View more questions Search