Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Nov 7, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Kind of telescope
    What kind of telescope to purchase for my family to observe our solar system. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Here is an excellent article for first time telescope buyers:
    http://findascope.com/buy.html

Nov 13, 2006, 03:03 PM
    Hi RickJ,
    I have decided on the 6-8" Dobsonian Reflector. For an amateur astronomer, is that all I need? I have up to $450.oo budget, do you think it is enough? Thank you so much for your help.

Maria
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Hold on one moment, though. Some Dobsonians have mounts that do not allow for minute adjustments on both axis'.

Which Dobsonian are you looking at and what type of mount does it have.

I can tell you this: With the right mount, $450 can get you a VERY nice scope.

Nov 14, 2006, 07:44 AM
    I am looking at Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic or Zhumell Dobsonian 8 inch reflector. What do you think?
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 08:13 AM
    I'm not up on Dobsonians, but those mounts worry me. Everything you're looking at in the sky is going to be moving out of the field of view in an arc... so you want to be able to make minute adjustments to where it's pointing both vertically and horizontally, so that you can "follow" the object.

Before an investment of $250-300 I would suggest calling the dealer to confirm how the adjustments are made.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The first telescope [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 6 years old. He loves astronomy so much. What is the most suitable telescopes for him? Is it 30mm, 50mm, orbigger one?

What kind of bug is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed a very small, tiny bug crawling aroung near and around the bottom of my tub and it appears to be coming from a small crack or opening at the bottom of the tile on the wall. It is shaped like a tadpole, or cone. The head is wide and round and narrows as it goes back toward the tail....

Just starting... kind of [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I've been dating my boyfriend for over 9 months and we just started to have sex, let me think, a month ago. Now here's what I am confused about and need help in: I haven't had an orgasm... not even close and we've had sex over 15 times. I'm guessing this isn't enough? It still hurt until...

Have no idea what kind it is [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My brother recently gave me a riding mower that runs really good.And me or my brother have no idea what kind of mower it is.It has a B/S 18 HP Twin head on it.The model # on the frame is 45160000 serial # 007406 and the code is 9222. I looked on the net and I guess it's an older mower...

What kind of valve is this? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We have three sinks in our kitchen. The shutoff valves beneath them are causing problems (some leak, while others simply don't turn the water all the way off), so I'd like to replace them. And while I'm at it, I'd really like to replace them with the "full-bore" kind (the kind that only...

View more questions Search