Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maria-Therese Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 01:17 AM
    Portuguese Ancentral Passport
    Hi
    I am a South African with a Portuguese Grandfather,(born in Madiera, now deceased) my mother, his daughter, was born in South Africa. Am I eligible to apply for an ancestral passport. If yes, how do I apply? My cousin recently travelled to Madiera to meet relatives and renew connections there, so I do have some documentation, etc.
    Maria-Therese
    fxd132401 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Where to renew portuguese passport in london
    asmfhbd Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 03:21 AM
    For fxd132401

Portuguese Consulate General
    3 Portland Place
    London W1B 1HR
    Tel 020 7291 3770, Fax 020 7291 3799
    Email: [email protected]
    Opening hours: 8:30am to 1:00pm

For Maria-Therese

Yes, you should be able to become a Portuguese citizen, by descent. However, if your mother's birth was not recorded in the Portuguese records in Lisbon you will first have to register her birth and your parent's marriage (if they were married) before you can register your own birth (and obtain citizenship).

Here is the information I was given at the consul in San Francisco when I asked about obtaining citizenship through descent in Feb. of this year. (Note: The prices have already increased since then):
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/visas-...ml#post1980869

If you live anywhere near a Portuguese Consulate I would strongly suggest you go there in person and ask them what the latest requirements are as if nothing else, the prices are subject to change. If you can't go in person, try giving their offices a ring as they might list the requirements on their phone tape message (the San Francisco office did).

South African Portuguese Consul Locations:
    Portuguese Guide in South Africa

The South African Department of Home Affairs regarding dual citizenship:
    South African Department of Home Affairs

Good Luck!
    Alfama Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Nov 18, 2009, 05:04 AM

The Portuguese consulate in London is also open from 14.00 to 16.00 Monday to Friday.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I apply portuguese passport on my mother's portuguese pasport in uk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a student in uk and I have been here for last four years. My visa is expiring next year jan 2010 and holding indian passport. I was wondering if I can apply for portuguese passport through portuguese embassy without going back to my home country (goa , india) since my mother has been...

American born with portuguese parents and want a portuguese passport [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all. Basically I am trying to find a way around being american (born and raised) and trying to go to the UK to live with my boyfriend and work there. I thought the easist way might be to obtain a portuguese passport and therefore be free to rome in and out of the UK with out visa issues that I...

Portuguese I.D card vs Portuguese passport [ 1 Answers ]

If I have my Portuguese I.D card on me and I want to travel to Italy do I still need to bring my Portuguese passport with me Many thanks

Portuguese passport?/ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I wonder if someone could help. My mother has a portuguese Passport thus is a portuguese citazen . How ever I was not born in Portugal . Is it possiable for me to obtain a Portuguese passport as well? I have been told that it is my right by a number of mates as they also have...

Portuguese passport [ 1 Answers ]

My fiance's grandfather was born in Portugal and moved to South AFrica. We have been trying for 2 years to get him a Portuguese Passport based on his grandfather being born in Lisbon. How do we go about getting his grandfather's birth certificate? We have alre4ady paid an attorney R5,000 to...

View more questions Search