Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zenalpha Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2009, 09:32 PM
    Is there a product or pill available to prevent a diverticulliis attack?
    I had a diverticulitis attack today 11-5-09, which usually occurs about every 6 months or so but may be getting more frequent now. It usually happens when I wake up in the morning and last sometimes for about a few hours, but sometimes 6 to 8 hours depending on the severity of the attack. I was already diagnosed as having this disease some years ago but would like to know if there is a pill or product on the market to prevent the attack from happening. Any suggestions? Thank you!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2009, 10:37 PM

I would recommend talking more with your dr about possible diet changes. My aunt gets diverticulitis. Her attacks are usually much more severe, and sometimes require hospital stays. Her dr recommends that she has a diet high in probiotics and fiber, and stays away from seeds (like tomato seeds and strawberries).
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2009, 06:29 PM

My mother just went through this very severely. Her doctor put her on two types of antibiotics and took her off all roughage until she could heal 3 weeks), and then gradually amped up her fiber intake so she now must eat two pieces of fresh fruit, whole grain and fresh (ideally raw) vegetables every day. She's looking and feeling much better and has also been losing a lot of weight because it's a much healthier way to eat anyway. Her skin looks fantastic, as a bonus, and she's not having any additional problems. But her MD said that if she skipped the antibiotics, she would not have been able to tolerate all the fibre now.
    pmera Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Apr 9, 2010, 02:25 PM

Also be active, studies suggest being physically moderately active most days of the week will help your condition. The intesity of activity will depend on your ability and condition at that time.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2010, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pmera View Post
    Also be active, studies suggest being physically moderately active most days of the week will help your condition. The intesity of activity will depend on your ability and condition at that time.
    Do you have any links to the studies you're referring to? My aunt might be interested in reading them
    pmera Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Apr 10, 2010, 05:57 AM

Some studies I found referring to it on the web

"Moreover, investigations[48, 49] have suggested that lack of physical activity is independently associated with an increased risk of symptomatic DD"
    World J Gastroenterol

"physical activity seems to protect from colon cancer, cholelithiasis and diverticular disease."
    Physical activity and the gastrointestinal tract : European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology

Strength training accelerates gastrointestinal transit in mi... : Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise

And a dr once refferred their patient to me telling me physical activity would help his patient. Of course strenuous especially soon after an attack is bad, but being active gets your system moving better.

Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Red color pill reached but no period - Birth control Pill [ 11 Answers ]

Hi All, I am on Birth Control Pills (Lutera- 28 pack one) since past 4-5 months. My periods start when I reach the 4th week, i.e when the red color pills start. According to this, my red color pill dosage started yesterday (Sunday) but my periods did not. Am I worrying too much since its been...

Outline and explain the anatomy of a product and product classification? [ 3 Answers ]

Outline and explain the anatomy of a product and product classification? hey every1 kindly help as i need to write 2500 words on this and my only chance to pass so i would really thank you alot for your help.

I need to calculate the full product unit cost of both the 12pack and 2-liter product [ 1 Answers ]

I have raw materials costs 3% loss of raw materials, because of packaging requirements Packing materials costs 2% damaged materials Manufacturing expense Truck delivery fee Storage fee Wages p/year Manufacturing costs p/yr.

Product adaptation and standardisation of product [ 3 Answers ]

What is actual meaning n definition for adaptation and standardisation of product in local as well as international market? Give me with the suitable examples of german and japanies products

View more questions Search