Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonychoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 06:03 AM
    Join 2 excels by matching columns
    I have 2 excels.
    Excel1: columns >> name; address
    Excel2: columns >> name; phone; dob
    Wish to join the two with matching "name".
    I cannot find anything on Excel help.
    I have downloaded some sharewares to handle this but either it failed to install or it does not function fully without payment.
    Could anyone please help?
    If you have some existing VBA or Macro codings and do not have time to explain. You can give the files to me.
    Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 07:05 AM
    If the names columns currently match, you could just copy and paste the Address Column into Excel2.

Stay tuned, though: we've got some Excel guru's here who might be able to offer a better answer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2006, 07:52 AM
    That's because this is a DATABASE function, not really a spreadsheet function.

You could use Microsoft Query (under the Data menu) to join the 2 tables. You might also use a VLookup to add the address column to the phone table.

However, in either case, the names would have to match exactly. So John Smith would not match John J. Smith.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Nov 20, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonychoy
    I have 2 excels.
    Excel1: columns >> name; address
    Excel2: columns >> name; phone; dob
    Wish to join the two with matching "name".
    Sort both excels by name.
    Ensure that they both have the same number of rows. Insert blank rows if necessary. The names need to match, row for row.
    Copy the address column from Excel 1 and paste it into Excel 2.
    WvR Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2007, 02:09 AM
    I agree with ScottGem Vlookup will work as long as the names are the same remember to add the "false" indicator at the end of your lookup, if you do not add it excel will return the nearest match and not the exact match and this can create chaos.

=vlookup(point to first name , select table you wish to join , column no e.g.2 or 3 , false)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to join two 3-way switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have a balcony with overhead lights between two 3-way switches. I also have another 3-way switch that operates lights to the stairs. Presently there are two switches side-by-side that operate the balcony lights and the stair lights. Question: Is it possible to join theses two switches...

Matching Coil - Trane XR-13 [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone give me a ballpark figure on the price of a matching coil for a new Trane XR-13 A/C?

Matching A/C units [ 7 Answers ]

Do I have to match the outside unite with the inside unite? I have a Rudd sys. Right now the heat pump outside is gone out. Do I have to replace with the same brand or can I go with an other brand? I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth Tx. Do I need to go back with Heat pump or can I just go back with a a/c...

Inserting multiple columns on Excel [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to insert multiple columns under any particular cell without disturbing other cell data ? For example it should be like : --------------------------------------------------------- | A | B | C |...

How do I do an Inner join in MySQL? [ 1 Answers ]

Please could someone assist?

View more questions Search