Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woody59tbird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Insulating a basement
    I have a newer house that I am going to finish the basement. When my house was built they insulated and vapour barrer half way down my basement walls, is it necasarry to insulate the bottom half if it is below ground level or can I get away without it

Thanks to all that repond
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 03:46 PM

This may depend on where you live. It has been common for builders to not insulate the basement wall below the soil level because they actually want some heat to reach the concrete and soil so it will not freeze and heave. Call you local building inspector and ask what his department requires for their code enforcement

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Basement Floor Insulating [ 4 Answers ]

I want to cover the concrete floors in my basement. Is there a recommended practice for insulating a concrete floor? I have seen the Dri Core type of subfloors, but I'm sure I could do it for less another way. Any Advice?

Finishing and Insulating a Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry about the huge thread started, but I wanted to give as much background info as possible. Thanks, Logan. Background: In a few years I will be finishing my basement. I live in lower New York so the temperature varies from season to season. My basement has cinder block walls and the...

Insulating Basement [ 6 Answers ]

Are there any alternatives to insulating a basement with cement walls besides insulating all the walls with 3 inch fiberglass?

Insulating basement walls [ 2 Answers ]

As per a previous thread I am in process of insulating my basement. I have taken the advice of TerryB with his great link to insulating. I have run into only a little problem I hope. I installed moisture barrier against the cement foundation, wood studded my walls and installed R-12. This was on...

Insulating basement joists [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: finishing basement and I am curious as to how deep should I put the insulation in the joists. I am using #15 roofing paper 3/4's of the way up the cement wall with 2x4 studs and r-12 batts, then a polyurethane vapour barrier. Now should I bring out the insulation over the 2x4 stud of the...

View more questions Search