Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanjuan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 10:31 AM
    Tax lien on a deceased person's ESOP
    My husband died 5 years ago. At that time, his employer did a year's due diligence before releasing the first of 5 annual dispursements to me from his ESOP plan. I have since received 3 dispursements. I have just become aware that my late husband had federal tax liens from 2001 and 2002 . (we were not married at that time). Can the IRS take my dispursement to satisfy those liens? There was no estate when he died and he would not have had access to the ESOP funds for years to come (if still alive). Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2009, 10:40 AM
    It depends. Is the ESOP currently in your name or your late husband's name?

If it has been transferred to your name, then, In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about, because you have NO tax liability for the 2001 and 2002 returns.

If the ESOP is still in your late husband's name, then the IRS may be able to garnish any income NOT YET DISBURSED to satisfy those tax liens.
    sanjuan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 10:44 AM

Im not sure (paperwork is at home)... the certificate has his name on it. However it is dispursed with my social security number and I pay the taxes on it each year.. I don't know if that matters or not. May I contact you tomorrow once I have the paperwork in front of me? And thank you for you help already!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 5, 2009, 07:49 AM
    You can email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The right to see a deceased person's will [ 2 Answers ]

My second cousin recently left some family member small financial bequests in her will. She also left jewellery to two of the female relations. Today I phoned the lawyer dealing with this as the jewellery has never turned up. He said he didn't know how he was going to get it to us. He...

Withdraw from esop [ 2 Answers ]

Can I withdraw from an esop program if I'm 100% vested but I no longer work for the company?

ESOP Penalites [ 3 Answers ]

I am 59-1/2, If I withdraw some of my retirement money what penalties and taxes will I have to pay?

Reclamation for Deceased Person's Checking Acct. [ 1 Answers ]

Here's my story: My father passed away August 30, 2007. He had no life insurance, no assets except for a checking account. Of his five children, I was the only one that showed up to claim his body from the hospital. I had to deal with the burial arrangements alone. He was living with a woman...

View more questions Search