Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConfusingLife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Buying or renting a home with difficulty
    Hey, I didn't know if this was the right topic, but it was the only topic that had real estate in it. Here's the situation I need help with:

I'm in college right now and my fiancé is a construction worker. Well, he's a roofer and does other construction jobs also when it's called for. On his bad weeks he gets paid between 300 to 400 in one week. On his good weeks, he gets paid between 500 to 1000 in one week. He gets paid by the square and it's under the table. This is where it becomes difficult. Because of the fact that he gets paid cash and no taxes taken out, I don't know what to do. We can afford to move out, we can afford the down payment, but neither one of us has a credit score. We don't know what to do. We are both young, but smart. I'm not exactly a know it all when it comes to real estate, but I know we have enough and he makes enough to pay either a monthly payment or whatever needs to be done. I just need to find something that may give us a break. I heard there are grants for newlyweds who are new homebuyers, but we aren't getting married until may 5th. This is kind of a desperate situation. I live in a house with my mother, my fiancé, my sister who has a baby and is pregnant again, my brother, his wife, and their baby, and living there is affecting my college work. I know if I start my own life and maybe we can find a break, we won't have to be stuck in the cage at my mother's house. I know she needs the room too.

If there's any way anyone can give me any advice, all and any advice is wanted. I need anything I can get right now. Thank you for your time. If it helps any I live in Northern Alabama.
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Nov 4, 2009, 09:21 AM

I'm not a lawyer but did just buy a house...

When I bought my house 2 years ago the bank required proof of my salary, 6 months worth of pay stubs. I also had to provide a tax return. My credit score was 760.

If you're not paying taxes, or are under the table, you are going to have trouble with these documents. Banks are very strict with loans nowadays. Even if you have enough now to make the payments, you are not paying taxes. You will have to remedy that at some point.

There are other costs with a home as well. You'll have utilities, property taxes, school taxes, insurance... the list goes on. Can you afford these as well?

Remedy the tax and under the table situation before you proceed. Like it or not, you are breaking the law and can get caught and fined.
    recordhound Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Nov 15, 2009, 01:25 PM

Al Capone was sent up for exactly that - evading income taxes. You may want to consider your choice in fiancés...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Renting vs. Buying [ 8 Answers ]

I'm going to be attending college this winter quarter on the other side of the united states. I plan on living in Seattle region, more specifically Edmonds area. I have a place to stay 'till I find somewhere to live, and I don't have a job lined up. However, I'm saving up money for myself when I...

Buying the property you are renting [ 3 Answers ]

If you are renting a property, and before the lease is up you buy the property from the owner, when does the owner have to return to security deposit? (At closing or does he have 30 days)

Renting a home owned and buying another [ 4 Answers ]

We are in the process of buying a new home to be built in June 07 and will have to mortgage 160k. We currently own a 8 month old home (paid for in cash). However my husband wants to rent this home to pay for the mortgage on the other new home, I say sell, he says rent ! I'd rather sell and be...

Buying investment real estate and renting it to myself [ 5 Answers ]

Just wondering... Is it legal to buy a small house, put the property in an LLC, and rent it to myself under another LLC? I am self employed in sales. While a lot of people in my field work out of their house, I chose to rent a small office. Rather than keep paying rent and see the money go...

View more questions Search