Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karen Koba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 08:27 AM
    Repair and restore a leather couch
    I have a couch that has a small tear and a number of scratches. I would like to repair the tear and scratches. The second thing is that I would like to know what to use to polish it up to look like new with no marks.

Thank you very much for your help.

Karen Koba
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Nov 5, 2009, 07:15 AM

There are repair products for this. Short course: a knit-like backer is glued to the back of the tear (placed through the tear itself), then a compound is tinted to match the leather to fill the (hopefully) small void left where the edges are brought together. A professional should even be able to match the grain on the leather. Usually a good cleaning/polishing of the leather will make scratches less noticeable. If the scratches are large, they could be repaired at the same time as the tear, without having to cement a backer. I've seen "consumer grade" kits to do this on TV, but haven't used them and wouldn't recommend them (if you go that route, practice on scrap pieces first to see if it will work). Note that all furniture repairs are designed to make the defect less noticeable, not necessarily invisible.
    dallashomeowner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 08:44 AM

I can definitely help answer your question!

My husband does that for a living. Actually he does car interior repair, but he can fix anything w/ leather.

What you should do is call a large car dealership in your area, tell them you were wanting to get the name and number of the person that does their interior repair, they should give it to you no problem, and then you can have the person come directly to your house to fix it (almost all interior guys are mobile).

When you call up the dealership, ask for either used car manager or the service manager, one of them should be able to locate the number for you fairly fast.

Also... cost wise... depending on the rip size, color of your couch, etc. it shouldn't cost more than $100 to $150.

If you're in the Dallas area let me know and I'll get my husband out there to do it for you!
    missjamie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
    Hi, my leather couch was torn and now I need someone to repair it asap. I live by Joe Pool Lake in the Mansfield area. If you can please help me, I will greatly appreciate. Please call me to 817-657-0877, my name is Jamie.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dallashomeowner View Post
    I can definitely help answer your question!

My husband does that for a living. Actually he does car interior repair, but he can fix anything w/ leather.

What you should do is call a large car dealership in your area, tell them you were wanting to get the name and number of the person that does their interior repair, they should give it to you no problem, and then you can have the person come directly to your house to fix it (almost all interior guys are mobile).

When you call up the dealership, ask for either used car manager or the service manager, one of them should be able to locate the number for you fairly fast.

Also...cost wise....depending on the rip size, color of your couch, etc. it shouldn't cost more than $100 to $150.

If you're in the Dallas area let me know and I'll get my husband out there to do it for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home repair for leather couch? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 12-15 inch tear on a leather couch, and a smaller tear in another spot... in need of a quick at home fix for this problem?

Repair: Cat Scratches on Leather Recliner [ 7 Answers ]

I have known that cats and leather furniture have never been a good combination. So for the length of my ownership of my leather recliner, I have had it covered with an old heavy comforter to protect it when not in use. In the two years that I've had it, I haven't had a problem, but a few days...

Leather topped furniture repair [ 1 Answers ]

We have several pieces of old leather-topped furniture (end tables, coffee table, etc). One piece has a fairly recent water spot on it. Is there any way to remove/repair that spot?

Leather Furniture Repair [ 3 Answers ]

How do I repair a huge hole in leather furniture??

Replacing leather button on tufted couch [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find the tool used to replace a leather button on a leather tufted sofa?

View more questions Search