Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2003, 07:34 PM
    Sports Psychology
    In simple terms I need to know what Individual Zones of Optimal Functioning is. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2003, 11:32 AM
    Sports Psychology
    Hi Peg, I don't know how simple it will be to you but here it is; According to the individual zones of optimal functioning (IZPF) model, an athlete's performance is successful when his or her pre-competition anxiety is within or near the individually optimal zone. When anxiety falls outside the optimal zone, performance deteriorates. The model also suggests that skilled athletes are aware of, and are able to accurately recall and anticipate, their pre-competition anxiety. A meta-analysis of 19 studies from 1978 to 1997 (146 effect sizes based on 6387 participants) was conducted to examine the validity of the assumptions regarding the in-out of the zone notion and the accuracy of recalls and anticipatory measures of anxiety. The findings provide fairly good empirical support for the IZOF anxiety model, with an overall effect size (d) for the in-out of the zone notion of d=+0.44 (41 effect sizes, n=3175). In other words, the performance of athletes who were within their individually optimal zones were almost one-half a standard deviation unit better than that of athletes who were outside their zones. Furthermore, both effect sizes (rw) for accuracy of precompetition anxiety measures, recall (rw=+0.71, 24 effect sizes, n=369) and anticipatory (rw=+0.69, 81 effect sizes, n=2843), exceeded the 'large effect' suggested for correlations by Cohen. The implications for future research extending the IZOF model to a wider range of positive and negative emotions are discussed. Hope this helps. Tom
    peg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2003, 05:28 PM
    Sports Psychology
    Thanks, Your answer was very helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sports -Boxing [ 3 Answers ]

How many pounds, of weight, will a boxer in the middleweight division, normally gain, by fight time, after the official weigh-in?

Sports Teams [ 40 Answers ]

Just wondering what sports teams do people on here support? As u can tell by my name I support Man Utd and we better win 2 night lol

Indian Players In Different Sports [ 0 Answers ]

Give The Names Of Indian Players In All Sports Game

Stats on affects of sports on the body [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find statistics on how different sports affect the human body? I'm not talking just about good effects; I'm also looking for detrimental effects. (Like injuries common to each sport)

Sports Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for the understanding of Inverted - you Hypothesis - My understanding is that when arousal measured as a single dimension aids performance up to an optimal range, after which further arousal prompts performance to decline. I'm looking for an easier explanation. Thanks

View more questions Search