Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2003, 05:35 PM
    Sports Psychology
    I'm looking for the understanding of Inverted - you Hypothesis - My understanding is that when arousal measured as a single dimension aids performance up to an optimal range, after which further arousal prompts performance to decline. I'm looking for an easier explanation. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2003, 06:19 PM
    Sports Psychology
    Hi Peg, more questions? Let's see what I can come up with.
    -The inverted you Hypothesis is quickly going out of fashion. It proposes that there is an optimal amount of arousal that an athlete will perform at. However, if that level of arousal is passed then the level of performance will decrease. The same thing happens when the level of arousal is lower than the optimal level .
    -The inverted you Hypothesis seems to make sense to most of us, and we can relate this to our own experiences in sports. There is also evidence supporting the inverted you hypothesis in the literature that is fairly recent (1). However, newer research suggests that the inverted you hypothesis is not correct (2).
    -There have been, and still are, scientists that argue against the inverted you hypothesis because they consider it to be an oversimplified module of how athletes perform at different stress levels (2).
    -Different sports require different levels of arousal. For instance it was proposed that Weight lifting would require a higher level of arousal than Golf (Fig. 2)(3,5).
    -One thing that is difficult about the inverted you hypothesis is that it is hard to determine where the top of the curve is.
    -The inverted you hypothesis sliding according to different activities was proposed, and the hypothesis was put forward that the more physical and general the motor skills needed, the further to the right (higher level of arousal) the curve would be pushed. In contrast, for a sport that needs more fine motor control and thought than physical power, arousal for that sport would need to fall further to the left on the graph to obtain the highest level of performance.
    -However, this theory has fallen out of favor in several new papers. You're into pretty heavy questions, Peg, Too bad he answers are just as heavy. Toodles, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sports -Boxing [ 3 Answers ]

How many pounds, of weight, will a boxer in the middleweight division, normally gain, by fight time, after the official weigh-in?

Sports Teams [ 40 Answers ]

Just wondering what sports teams do people on here support? As u can tell by my name I support Man Utd and we better win 2 night lol

Indian Players In Different Sports [ 0 Answers ]

Give The Names Of Indian Players In All Sports Game

Stats on affects of sports on the body [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find statistics on how different sports affect the human body? I'm not talking just about good effects; I'm also looking for detrimental effects. (Like injuries common to each sport)

Sports Psychology [ 2 Answers ]

In simple terms I need to know what Individual Zones of Optimal Functioning is. Thanks

View more questions Search