Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhayana123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Wisdom tooth extraction pain
    Friends
    The greatest tragedy occurred yesterday when my dentist declared that my lower last molar has to be removed, I'm in constant pain since then, both physical and psychological.
    I took another dentist opinion and he also said that it's a simple process and very general. I can't believe this happened to me, Now I'm on painkillers and my tooth removal is due in 2-3 days time, its going to be a great operation for me and I don't know how the dentist will perform. My office attendance coupled with my impending exams and now this, how do I cope. Tooth extraction is a trauma, :( we should always take care of our teeth is the lesson I learnt this time
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Nov 3, 2009, 09:23 AM

Hi, I'm sorry about your tooth.

If this is truly a wisdom tooth then it may have been beyond your control in keeping it. In my case, mine were impacted, it was not a "simple" procedure, instead I was brought into a surgical suite and put under.

I couldn't have done anything to keep them. It is a common procedure here, lots of people have wisdom teeth extracted.

Please don't blame yourself. You did the right thing in getting a second opinion.

Good luck and let us know how the procedure goes.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 09:23 AM

This is a question/answer site. What is your question?

If losing a molar is the greatest tragedy that's ever happened in your life you are fortunate, indeed.

Why is this causing you such great psychological pain? It happens all the time for a variety of reasons in the US.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 02:28 PM
    You need to give a little more information. Why did the dentist say the tooth has to be removed? If 2 dentists have told you it's a simple extraction then don't fret. People have teeth removed all the time. Follow whatever post treatment instructions they give you and you'll be just fine.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Nov 3, 2009, 07:26 PM

It really is no big deal, the worst part will be a tiny prick of the needle, then you'll be numb and won't feel a thing!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir1981 View Post
    It really is no big deal, the worst part will be a tiny prick of the needle, then you'll be numb and wont feel a thing!

I don't want to further frighten the OP but I have never found this to be true - there IS pain following an extraction.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Everyone has different pain thresholds. It's best to be prepared. Take some Advil prior to the appointment and follow up with Tylenol 2 hours after.
    mumtosix Posts: 42, Reputation: 6

Nov 4, 2009, 03:09 PM

Hiya I have had 3 wisdom teeth removed - all in the dental surgery with the magic numbing injections - all you feel is pulling and yes a bit weird but you feel no pain as its all numb , the noise is worse that the pulling but I had no problems with 3 of mine coming out.

2-3 Days after having them removed the area maybe a little sore but nothing major , a few painkillers will see threw it.

Due to domestic violence I have had 8 other teeth removed in total and never had any problems. Don't worry it sounds worse than it is.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Nov 4, 2009, 08:18 PM

Well the bottom line is that it is inevitable... tooth pain is one thing that will only get worse, not better if left alone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excruciating Pain after Wisdom Tooth Extraction! [ 17 Answers ]

I got my bottom two wisdom teeth pulled on August 22nd. They were both impacted horizontally and pushing against my back molars, causing a slight pain. So they had to be removed on the advice of my dentist. I'm afraid of needles so to calm the anxiety, they sedated me with Triazolam. It's been a...

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 5 Answers ]

I had my last two wisdom teeth removed 6 days ago, I was awake and I can not take pain medication because of my sensitive stomach. I am endearing so much pain, my ear is killing me, along with other teeth. I peeked into my mouth earlier and saw a gaping hole between my gum and cheek... what is...

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

Thursday I had my lower right wisdom tooth pulled and it's been 3 days later and I'm still in pain. I'm on amoxicillan and 2 other pain relievers and still in pain. I don't have dry socket cause I do have clot in socket. Any suggestions or how long I will feel like this for? Thanks.

What type of pain should I be experiencing after wisdom tooth extraction? [ 3 Answers ]

I got all four of my wisdom teeth out five days ago. The first day I slept a lot and it wasn't bad and the second day I was feeling pretty great. On the third and fourth day pain started to worsen and today it is terrible. This morning I woke up with blood in my mouth and all of my teeth are sore...

Fever Following a Wisdom Tooth Extraction [ 5 Answers ]

I had a wisdom tooth extracted this Monday. Starting Tuesday, a fever started to develop. I was put on Amoxicillin after the surgery, so I was happy that I was taking it in case of any infection problems. The infection is now lingering today (Saturday morning). I have no real pain except for a...

View more questions Search