Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drivenman222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 05:05 PM
    Circling ball
    A ball of mass m is attached to a string of length L. It is being swung in a vertical circle with enough speed so that the string remains taut throughout the ball's motion. View Figure Assume that the ball travels freely in this vertical circle with negligible loss of total mechanical energy. To avoid confusion, take the upward direction to be positive throughout the problem. At the top and bottom of the vertical circle, label the ball's speeds v_t and v_b, and label the corresponding tensions in the string T_t_vec and T_vec_b. T_t_vec and T_b_vec have magnitudes T_t and T_b.

Find T_b - T_t, the difference between the magnitude of the tension in the string at the bottom relative to that at the top of the circle?

Express the difference in tension in terms of m and g. The quantities v_t and v_b should not appear in your final answer.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 02:40 AM
    I'm not doing your work for you, take a snapshot of the ball and string at the top and bottom of the circle, consider all the force components on the ball, and transfer those to how they would affect the tension of the string (Imagine the forces on a small piece of string between the string and the ball). How are the force components different, what would cause a difference in tension?

Let me know how you get on.
    kesavan Posts: 118, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 09:17 AM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ball joints [ 3 Answers ]

What would an estimated cost of replacing lower ball joints on my 1998 Ford F150? I called a fairly reliable repair shop this morning and they gave me an estimate of approximately $365. This would include labor and the alignment. I looked at NAPA online and found the lower ball joints at a...

Having a ball... [ 4 Answers ]

When giving oral sex to a man, wh at type of erotic things can stimulate his testicles that can help him climax? Also when you are on top?

I need help in basket ball help me! [ 4 Answers ]

Look I need some seriously help in basket ball I don't know what type of training I need for good shot average and to improve my stamina,I also need help on how to play in my position I am a center.

Golf ball [ 2 Answers ]

A golf ball moving forward with 1 unit of momentum strikes and bounces backward off a heavy bowling ball that is initially at rest and free to move. The bowling ball is set in motion with a momentum of_____. A. Less than 1 unit. B. More than 1 unit. C. 1 unit. D. Not enough information.

View more questions Search