Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bramble Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2003, 02:53 PM
    Camera Lens
    Which is sharper, a fixed length focal lens or a zoom lens?
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 4, 2006, 07:24 PM
    I would guess the fixed length focal lens are...
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Feb 14, 2006, 08:34 AM
    A zoom lens, even a top quality one has to compromise at most points of it's range, there is usually a "sweet spot" somewhere around the middle where focus is at maximum level, but at wide and tele ends there is a marked fall off in image quality.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Hi,
    As an avid photographer, not professional, I own a couple of camera. One is a single lens reflex, Nikon Photomic T, which has auto camera and light settings, or can be used manually... not a digital.
    A fixed lens normally will give the sharpest photos, unless of course, you have a good Zoom lens, using it at it's "normal setting".
    The more Zoom you use, the less quality you will get.
    A good Zoom lens, without Zooming it, is the same as a "fixed lens", and the quality depends on the quality of the lens itself.
    A "throw away" camera bought for just taking a few pictures, then turning in the camera and film for developing, doesn't come close to a "quality lens".
    I do wish you the best, and the best way is to take some photos, used both a "fixed lens", and then take some with a Zoom lens, zoomed out, and see the quality difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ferrari camera [ 8 Answers ]

How much does it cost

Best Digital Camera for less than $500 [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking to purchase the best digital camera I can for less than $500. While I am especially taken by the features offered by the SONY MVC CD-350 (disc type) the sales people I have talked to seem to prefer the Fuji FinePix 55000 or the FinePix A310 which are both "stick type"?? Thanks. Ponton

View more questions Search