Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ewalk1978 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 10:49 PM
    Paper vs fiberglass tape
    Im developing my basement and wanted to get some advise on what is better paper vs fiberglass tape ? What is better for the long run and less repairs ?

Thanks
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 04:33 AM

I have used both,I prefer paper.I wet the paper when I apply and haven't had any problems,it takes practice to get this type of work down to a science.

The fiberglass tape I had problems with due to it's thickness,on end joints it takes more coats to cover properly,side joints it's fine.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2009, 04:36 PM

Hi I own a drywall co in wis and the answer is paper tape is better cause it is 10 times stronger and it is thiner than the fiberglass
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2009, 06:17 PM

I agree 1.000 % with arby808
    With out a doubt PAPER TAPE. I hate the glass tape. For one its TOO THICK to cover and many other reasons.
    yourtipi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
    I'm also a drywall finisher and agree with arby and 21boat! Paper tape is much stronger due to the full surface contact with the mud, however if there is any movement in the board from settling and/or framing shrinkage something will give somewhere whether it's paper or fiberglass.

For ease of application, the fiber product with it's sticky side, is probably preferred by the beginner, at least on the flat joints, however, do yourself a favour an stick to paper tape in the inside corners.

When mudding the joints, preparing to apply the paper tape, don't get too far ahead before bedding the tape or the mud will start to dry on the surface and you will end up with air bubbles showing up when you apply the 2nd coat of mud over the joint; one of the reasons the sticky fiber became popular, as you just push it on well and apply your coats over it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mud and tape [ 5 Answers ]

Any one know what to charge per square ft. for mud and taping a basement if all materials are supplied. No ceiling work, just walls and bulkheads. Thanks

LexmarkX6570 Paper jam display with no paper jam [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I cannot get the paper jam error to clear - I have unplugged the printer, rebooted by laptop and still the error keeps appearing. There is no paper in the machine and the path is clear of any paper. Any assistance would be very helpful! Thank you.

Canon MP600 says no paper when there is paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying tp print from Canon MP600 but get message "there is no paper. load paper and press OK" There is paper in feeder - any idea of what solution might be ? Thanks

Bad Tape Job [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a chance to by a fixer upper and noticed that the dry wall joints had been badly taped and could be seen through the paint and/or falling off all together. What is the best way to handle this?

View more questions Search