Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cplbpd Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Craftsman dyt 4000 will not stay running
    I have a 24hp briggs and stratton intek engine, model 445677 type 0413 e1. I rebuilt the carb, changed out the plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, checked the gas cap for venting, fuel lines are clear and no leaks. The machine was running good then died out while mowing. It would only start with the choke on full. It eventually died out. I could get it started after sitting a few minutes to have the same issue start again. The plugs are a brownish greyish color. I pulled the fuel cut off solenoid wires while it was running and the machine shut down, so I don't think it is the solenoid. I checked all the wiring for splices or obvious issues and did not see anything visibly wrong. Would like to fix it on my own and avoid the labor costs at the local hardware store if possible. Anyone familiar with this problem and perhaps a solution? Thanks in advance for your help :confused:
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 5, 2009, 06:13 AM

Hi,
    In rebuilding the carb, care must be taken to always clean the passages in the opposite direction of normal fuel flow. This clears any debris. These "carbs" are very lean running and sensitive to dirt and cleaning procedures. To see why I put quotes around the word carb, compare the idle position versus the full throttle position of the throttle shaft.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    cplbpd Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    In rebuilding the carb, care must be taken to always clean the passages in the opposite direction of normal fuel flow. This clears any debris. These "carbs" are very lean running and sensitive to dirt and cleaning procedures. To see why I put quotes around the word carb, compare the idle position versus the full throttle position of the throttle shaft.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Not quite sure if this is the answer I was trying to get. I used only cleaning fluid to clean the carb out, it was very clean to start with, there for no tarnish or gunk to clean out of it requiring a brush or so on. I stripped the entire carb down, every screw, nut and bolt to ensure it was total open to clean.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 6, 2009, 08:49 AM

Hi,
    Yes they can look clean and not be clean. Also, the jets for the low speed circuits are different on each side of the carb. This applies for Briggs and Kawasaki for sure. The reason for that is that side of the carb and the length of the intake path on that side. Generally they will vary by 0.010mm in diameter. Switching them will give unusual results. Main can differ on rare occasions and will give even more profound results.
    Unfortunately, Briggs does not allow even old repair manuals on the Web. They will come at you over copyright. Some are freely available for other brands though some have to be older than the current version.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Weedeater won't stay running [ 5 Answers ]

I have a convertible craftsman weedeater that has run like a champ - until now! I can get it to run briefly, a few minutes at most, then it dies and will not restart. After reading some similar posts I am beginning to suspect either an in tank filter or the inlet filter on the card Sound...

Craftsman 16.5 OHV won't stay running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 16.5 IC OHV that I just replaced the fuel cylenoid switch on because it wouldn't crank without pouring gas into carburetor. Once I changed that, it ran for about 10 minutes then shut off. I was able to jump it off with jumper cables a couple of times, and it kept shutting off. ...

Craftsman edger will not stay running [ 1 Answers ]

Craftsman 3.5 edger starts when primed, but will not stay running. If I keep pushing the primar it will run until I stop pushing it. Could this be a fuel filter problem or due to old gasoline? Help!

Craftsman Snowblower will not stay running [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Snowblower 9 HP, 29" Thrower deck. I started it, and it ran for five minutes while I snowblowed the driveway. Then it stalled. Now, I can start it, but it only runs for a few seconds before stalling out again. It's full of gas and oil and has always run great. I'm wondering...

View more questions Search