Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigredt710 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 02:46 PM
    14 year old wants to be adopted
    My son is 14 and has wanted to be adopted for years by my husband. His bio-father has moved out of state and has maintained contact but takes little or no responsibility for him. Biodad pays the minimum in child support and makes it clear how unimportant the child is. I have a few questions, most important being... at what point can my son be adopted because he wants it? If the biodad agrees to the adoption, then what paper does he sign? The one on the NYS website turns rights over to an agency, not an individual. If he decides to unagree... he has verbally but signed nothing, can I take him to court based on his treatment of the situation?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 02:52 PM

At NO point can your son be adopted because he wants it.

If your son's biological father is willing to relinquish parental rights, and your husband is willing to adopt, then you get a lawyer and go to court and have it done.

ONLY a court can ratify an adoption or legally terminate parental rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopted in OH, Live in MD, husband wants to adopt my adopted son [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted my son 2 yrs ago in Ohio (single adoption), I live in Maryland. My soon to be husband wants to adopt him after we are married. Would we have to do it in OH or MD?

My three year old son is being adopted [ 17 Answers ]

Hello my name is Sleema and I have five children two girls age 13,9 and three boys age 11,10.3 they been with dyfs for three year I been seening them on the weekends and every other Wednesday.Dyfs is giving me back 4 of my children but noot my babie they said he bonded with they foster mother but I...

Am I adopted [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know if I am adopted or not and I want to find out because tere are no pictures of my fake or real mum when she was pregnant and I am afraid to ask her or anyone about this. So please if you know any website wich I can enter my details and find out helpp plzzz.:confused::(

Can I be adopted at 23 year old [ 11 Answers ]

Please can you tell me if you can be adopted at 23 years old

View more questions Search