Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 6, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Faulty Gas Appliances Warning.
    From http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/student_s...afety_home.jsp

The site is for students, but the advice is universal.

Gas Safety

There are two risks associated with faulty gas appliances, leaking gas and carbon monoxide poisoning.

A gas leak should be detectable by the distinct smell of gas. If you suspect a gas leak turn off the gas at the mains, and do not turn on any lights or use naked flames.

Contact National Grid TRANSCO (the Gas Board) immediately. The emergency free phone number is 0800 111 999.

Carbon monoxide is HIGHLY POISONOUS and it is hard to detect as it is colourless, odourless and tasteless. Any appliance that burns gas, coal or oil emits carbon monoxide. Effective ventilation and regular servicing can reduce risks considerably.

Insist on a gas safety certificate

It is a landlord's legal responsibility to have all gas appliances checked for safety by a CORGI registered technician. The Student Housing Offices only list properties after seeing the current gas safety certificate. Your landlord is also legally required to provide tenants with a copy of the certificate. Be sure and ask for this.

Ensure adequate ventilation

Gas appliances need air to burn safely. If there is too little air or the vent, chimney, or flue is blocked or obstructed, carbon monoxide may not be able to escape.

Look out for warning signs

These include stains, soot or discolouring around a fire, the flame on a gas fire or heater burning yellow or orange and a strange or unusual smell when the appliance is on.

Be aware of the 4 main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

* unexplained headaches
    * sleepiness
    * streaming eyes and
    * general lethargy.

(These can easily be confused with other ailments (e.g. flu or a hangover) If anyone in your house has any of the above symptoms after using a gas appliance they should consult their doctor.

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak - stop using the appliance immediately.

Contact National Grid TRANSCO on 0800 111 999 (24 hrs)
    mgr2cm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 06:02 PM

In NYS and possibly Nationally, it's becoming a law that every residential unit MUST have a Carbon Dioxide Monitor in them. In reality if you have an all-electric unit this is probably a waste of money with no garage attached to the building but many people find it easier to install one than argue about it at purcahse or refinance closings. Ask landlord about this, or buy one and when you move, bring it with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman gas heater [ 9 Answers ]

I have a modelgmpn120-5 gas heater.. today I had gas company look at it.. it runs good for a while.. then shuts down... I go down take a black vacuum hose off.. it has water in it.. I empty it.. heater runs.. today the guy from the gas company said the secodary heat exchanger was bad... how much...

Wards 500 Gas Heater [ 2 Answers ]

After spending several hours in the house I get tiered after getting a mild headache. I suspect the heat exchanger in my old Wards furnace is cracked. Is a replacement going to be a big deal? A neighbor just had this done and it had taken two service guys over five hours to accomplish. When I asked...

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

Gas water heater in a crawl space? [ 7 Answers ]

I am looking for a gas hot water heater I can instal in a crawl space. I have 3-4 feet of headroom. It needs to be big enough to supply all the hot water for a 4 bedroom house. However the water system does not supply enough water for 2 showers at once. Bosh makes a tankless heater that would...

Gas Heater Turns and Off every two minutes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Our Gas Heater turns on and then after a short burst stops. I observed that the Gas flames start and stop every two minutes even though temperature that I set on thermostat has not been reached. Is this normal? Over the long run house heats up to the my require heat but I suspect this...

View more questions Search