Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1969nlm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 01:45 AM
    Meaning of "taking liberties"
    Explain the meaning of the phrase "taking liberties".
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 02:06 AM
    This is what I have always known it to mean:" to be overfamiliar or overpresumptuous".

Were you accused of such an act? Or did you just hear it and wonder... HMMM?!
    arsebandit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 09:40 AM
    It means to take the piss,over step the mark,to do something malicous which is outside the established convention.
    LunaStrega Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 06:31 AM
    Taking liberties can also be defined as; Taking advantage of someone's good nature i.e. helping yourself to their things. Examples: 1) A friend leaves their car on your drive whilst they go on holiday and leave the car keys with you. You decide, without their prior agreement, to use their car - you have taken the liberty of using their car without asking them first. 2) You agree to feed your neighbour's cat whilest they are on holiday - while you're in your neighbour's house you decide to use their tumble-dryer to dry your laundry and help yourself to their biscuits while you're there. 3) You have a temporary accommodation problem and your friend lets you stay at their house whilest they are away, they tell you to "make yourself at home". While you're there you borrow their clothes, use their laptop, rearrange their books and records and throw a party. The point is not whether ultimately the other person would mind - it is the fact that you have not asked for their permission. You have just taken advantage of the situation and them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of Charles Bukowski's "How to be a good writer" [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering what people thought the meaning to this poem was, because I'm not sure I fully understand the meaning... You've got to a great many women Beautiful women And write a few decent love poems. And don't worry about age And/or freshly-arrived talents. Just drink more beer

Meaning of "life estate"(western NC) as registered at courthouse [ 1 Answers ]

My partner and I are applying for a weatherization program, they request the usual home ownership documents(title,mortgage statement, tax bill) and also "verification of life estate as registered in the courthouse records". What is this? The people at the program I spoke to couldn't tell me(!), and...

What is meaning of "Dead Front Type Switchboard"? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, this is ali, What is meaning of "Dead Front Type Switchboard"? B.Regards' Ali

In "The Syringa Tree" : meaning of white spots on fingers [ 1 Answers ]

What is folkyore meaning of the cresents or white spots on fingers

Meaning of phrase "in-house vendor" ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I noticed the following phrase on some newspaper: "in-house vendor". I'm not an English, and I have look for these words in the dictionary. The dictionaries tell me that "in-house" means make by ourselves Vendor means someone who selling something But, what is the whole phrase...

View more questions Search