Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scooter1955 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428 View Post
    Everyone comes on here frustrated with their automotive questions, Scott.
    I just wanted to put the word out there for ppl doing a search with the same problem you have.
    What you have is a very common problem in the older models.
    At least you're saving big time labor charges that I'd be charging you. :)
    Well I put the new condenser in, fired it up and this time the check engine light stays on, drove it a half block and it started to act up when pushing on the gas it started to die out, tried feathering the gas and it just died. And now I am back to square one to how it was acting before I even put the new coil pack on.:mad: It is going to Toyota sometime this week and get it resolved once and for all, I feel I have wasted enough time on it, and to avoid further anxiety I will let them fix it.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 12:36 PM

Was the coil you put in an aftermarket? As TX stated earlier, non Toyota parts can be problematic. Right out of the box! They can make you start chasing a ghost.
    You can save yourself the bother, because the first thing the dealer will recommend is installing OEM parts.
    If you go the data link connector, or 'diagnostic check connector' under the hood, get a paper clip, jump terminals E1 and TE1,(diagram under the cover) turn the key on, you will see the check engine light start flashing. That's a code.
    Cycle the key off and back on again and start counting the blinks.
    It might be... on... pause... on, on,. pause, something like that. If it's a steady blink, there's no codes. Let me know. I can give the code from here and maybe get a head start before you tow it 35 miles.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2009, 01:01 PM

With kitch428 to help you, you cannot give up! You are too close.

Nov 3, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    With kitch428 to help you, you cannot give up! You are too close.
    :) Thank you for the inspiration, I will check the code out, but really hate to throw more money at it if I'm going down the wrong track. The new pack I had put in was a Borg Warner. Any way will keep you posted. Thanks again guys,

Scott

Nov 4, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter1955 View Post
    :) Thank you for the inspiration, I will check the code out, but really hate to throw more money at it if I'm going down the wrong track. The new pack I had put in was a Borg Warner. Any way will keep you posted. Thanks again guys,

Scott
    HI, check the engine light like you instructed and getting a continuous blinking, try starting, spins over good for a bit than just stops, then try it again spins and does the same thing, acts like it wants to fire once in a while, almost like its out of time.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 04:00 PM

I'll bet it's the distributor. Is there a place close by where you can pick your own parts? Aka junkyard?
    Sounds like you're saying while holding the key in start position, the cranking rpm just stops all on it's own? If so, that sounds like battery connections, or starter giving up.:confused:
    You have no codes, looks like.

Nov 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
    I'll bet it's the distributor. Is there a place close by where you can pick your own parts? aka junkyard?
    Sounds like you're saying while holding the key in start position, the cranking rpm just stops all on it's own? If so, that sounds like battery connections, or starter giving up.:confused:
    You have no codes, looks like.
    Went out and checked the junkyard and everything they had was already taken. Still getting the intermittant check engine light, battery cables are tight and clean. I bit the bullet and took it to the dealership. Will let you all know what they found out. Again tahnk you very much for your support through all this. From now on anything like this occurs will just take it the right shop.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 07:49 PM

Please keep us updated.

Nov 5, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Please keep us updated.
    I sure will. Thanks again.

Nov 5, 2009, 05:23 PM
    I sure will. Thanks again.
    Got a call from them a few hours ago, and said it was fixed and ready to go. They ended up putting a new dist. in it. Should have done that from the gitgo. Oh well live and learn, and again, thanks abunch for your help
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2009, 05:35 PM

That's right! Live and learn. You can't replace experience for all the tea in China.
    Thought that would git-er-dun. Well, should run like a fine oiled machine for a long time to come.
    Did they recommend you a timing belt, or have you already done that.
    A little maintenance on these cars goes a long way. Hundreds of thousands of miles.

Nov 6, 2009, 06:01 AM
    That's right! Live and learn. You can't replace experience for all the tea in China.
    Thought that would git-er-dun. Well, should run like a fine oiled machine for a long time to come.
    Did they recommend you a timing belt, or have you already done that.
    A little maintenance on these cars goes a long way. Hundreds of thousands of miles.
    That's going to be next on the agenda, don't pass our on me :D But do you think I shoud try that myself:eek:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 07:45 AM

Have the dealer replace the timing belt.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 04:38 PM
    Thats going to be next on the agenda, don't pass our on me :D But do you think I shoud try that myself:eek:
    Let the pro's do that one. More to it than meets the eye.

Nov 6, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Let the pro's do that one. More to it than meets the eye.
    Your right, learned some lessons here. So, I went to pick the car up this morning and guess what? It would not start, so they pushed it back in and did some checking and found out it was the EFI relay, glad that happened there. Anyway I could just imagine what would have happened if I would have changed out the dist. and it wouldn't start, TOO THE MOON ALICE, TO THE MOON:p. They also showed me why it wouldn't run after I put the condenser in, I forgot to keep the airgap distance and the blade on the shaft hit hit the sensor and broke both of them, told them that make's me feel like a dolt, but he said don't be to hard on yourself that they have had mechanics do the same thing. Soo all in all about $450.00 total, not counting the money for parts and the time I through at it. So everyone out there who reads this I hope it gives some insight as to what can happen if you don't have the equipment or the total understanding of the compexity of today's cars. Thank you gentleman, may see you on here again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1992 honda accord. Wheres the fuel pump relay [ 7 Answers ]

I need to know where the fuel pump relay is for my 1992 honda accord

96 accord- No spark & no fuel from pump [ 10 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have a 96 accord that just died one day on the way to school, no spark from the coil, and no gas from the fuel pump, well I replaced the main fuel relay thinking that had to be the cause of all my problems, but Murpheys law is working against me as usual, does any one here have an idea...

1992 Honda Accord Fuel Pump working off and on [ 1 Answers ]

My car will start sometimes but when it does it only runs for like three minutes. It doesn't studder out it just cuts out. Then I found out when I crank the key the fule pumps but when the key goes back to the run position the fuel pump stops pumping. I changed the fuel filter and that didn't work....

Honda accord fuel pump replacement 1992 [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the fuel pump located for replacement on a honda accord lx?

How do I test the fuel pump on a 1992 honda accord? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I test the fuel pump on a 1992 honda accord? On other models there is a way to short the pump at the relay and you can tell if the fuel pump is working or not. Is there a way to do this on the 1992 honda accord lx?

View more questions Search