Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RedHead4991 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Nov 1, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Facebook? Or maybe not?
    I am considering getting a Facebook. I once heard a story about someone who had a Facebook and (I don't remember all the details) but someone found her contact info and she was raped (I'm not sure if the story is even true). Is there anything I should consider before getting one? Is anyone able to see my profile? What are some negative and/or positive qualities about it? Are you able to delete it once you have it?

Thanks in advance for responding!
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Nov 1, 2009, 11:59 AM

I was skeptical like you and after Myspace made these sites look like a Hook-up site I was sure I didn't need it.
    After getting some advise here I opened an account and found one of my best friends from 8th grade,we are talking and setting up a weekend to see each other so I love it. Here's the advise I was given
    Myspace is like a singles bar where as
    Facebook is like a family reunion
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2009, 11:53 PM

And why exactly can't someone use Facebook as a singles bar?

Unfortunately Facebook has a big giant thing on the home page where you can sign up, but makes it difficult to actually find any information about the place so that you know what you're getting into. One of the many reasons I don't want anything to do with it.

However, I've been told you can use an ID to identify yourself and that you can make yourself private. Anyone can get raped. But having it be someone online means someone allowed private info about themselves to be given out to strangers. Just keep yourself private.
    -

Nov 2, 2009, 03:50 PM

All your info is kept private until you confirm someone as a friend,the thing with FB is you can post something that "on you'r mind" for example there's was post with pictures of halloween etc.and everyone in your circle can comment.And you can send p.m.;s if you want.
    The reason it helped me was I forgot my friend went by his middle name so when I saw his picture I knew it was him.

Nov 2, 2009, 04:33 PM

Hmmm. I had to read this article for school last year. Let me know your thought:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/ma...26lives-t.html
    -

Nov 3, 2009, 06:13 AM
    [QUOTE=RedHead4991;2064814]. Let me know your thought:
    [
    That's just the point I'm trying to make.
    Like I always say Keep It Real!
    When you make your account don't try to invent friends,it is a great site to stay in touch with family members and people you REALLY know.I get friend request all the time from people I sort of knew or had "A" class with in high school and I just don't accept.
    If you only had one or two friends in high school chances are your not going to have a huge thriving FB account and that's cool,that's REAL.

Nov 4, 2009, 05:09 PM

zippit: Your totally right! It's just that I know with my friends that have Facebook, they all want to have tonz of friends, so they just go and freidn EVERYONE! It all comes down to peer pressure...
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Nov 4, 2009, 07:38 PM

There are risk involved with social networking sites as with everything we do. There are also precautions that one can take to mediate these risk. You should come to a social networking site with knowledge of the risk and a plan or an idea of what benefits you want to gain. Start slowly, be aware and enjoy.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2009, 04:56 AM

Basic rule: Don't add anyone to your friends list who you do not know.

Even if you do add people who are only acquaintances you can put restrictions on certain people.

So for example if I added someone who I had met out at a bar I would keep my information private from them but all my family and close friends I keep open so they can see everything.

You don't even have to use a photo of yourself on there.
    You can use a fake name if you like too and just tell your friends to search for that fake name and add you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't log into Facebook [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if i had a virus on my computer ive tried everyway to log into facebook and when i get to the beg of the page it goes back to this... we can't find "http://as.casalemedia.com/s?s=82460&u=ht..." what does that mean and i try refresh no luck i try loggin back in different ways no...

Can't log in to Facebook [ 4 Answers ]

Since this morning I can't log in on Facebook. It will always ask me to log in even after I log in.. I tried to reset password but it says : "Reset Password Unavailable We're sorry, reset password isn't available right now. Please try again later".. help me.. my husband can log in to his Facebook...

Can't log in to Facebook [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to log into Facebook but when I do I get the following message: Secure Connection Failed

Re Facebook [ 4 Answers ]

A friend put up some photos and I hate the one she put up of me. Can I keep it from Appearing on MY Facebook site?

Can't log onto Facebook [ 1 Answers ]

I am a caveman when it comes to computers. :o Over the past week or so, I have been unable to log into Facebook. It opens halfway, and then nothing... I have no problem with other pagers I have Windows XP and using Google Chrome as web browser. Please, can anybody assist me with a solution??

View more questions Search