Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chyps Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Leaking Stand up Shower
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but here goes. We had a stand up shower and a toilet put in our basement. The toilet is one that uses a pump and mulcher for the waist and the drain water from the shower goes through the same pump. The shower sits on the cemet floor. Well there is a wood form underneath it. Anyway ,it was getting really slow so we decided to plunge it(the shower) and ever since then we have had a major leaking problem. It's not coming from the joints around the walls or anything it only leaks out when we flush the toilet (which is what we have to do to drain the shower)so it has to be between the pump behind toilet and the shower drain. There is no water in any exposed area around the pump so my husband figures it has to be right under the shower. Now my question is How do we get the glass walls and door off so we can lift the shower pan up to see what is going on. Do we have to demolish it or is there a simple way to remove them without breaking them? It is a corner shower so there is two glass sides and a glass door. We can't see how they can come out. I hope someone can help.
    Thank you in advance
    chyps
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2009, 04:05 AM
    it only leaks out when we flush the toilet (which is what we have to do to drain the shower)
    STOP right there! You're going to hafta explain before we go any farther. Are you saying the shower base loads up with water and the only way to remove the standing water in the base is to flush the toilet? Never heard of a set up like that. How does it work? Regards, Tom
    chyps Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2009, 08:32 AM
    OK um we have one of those mercerating toilets with a pump on it ,and the shower is connected to the pump. It isn't sloped toward the pump the way it should be so we stand in water until we flush the toilet. The pump does go off once or twice while we are in the shower but it doesn't drain a whole lot. Now we have been testing the shower without anybody in it and it doesn't leak. We think maybe there needed to be more support under the shower pan right where the drain is. The pan just sits on a board frame but we don't know if the installer put anything in the middle. So when we stand in there we r putting pressure on the pipes. Does that make sense? So we need to take apart the whole shower because we can't get at the pipes or anything. That's what we don't know how to do. I'm sorry if this is hard to understand. Neither one of us is very good in this area and we can't afford to hire someone to come and look at it.
    Hope this helped u understand a little better.
    Thank you for your quick reply

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Stand-Alone Shower [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend an I bravely decided to install a stand alone shower into our new house a few months ago. We have ceramic tray and plastic surround. It developed a leak a few months ago, we have checked all of the pipes none of which are leaking, we also checked the drainage which is fine. It...

Stand up shower [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to level the base of a stand up shower I'm installing. The back end needs to be raised a 1/2 inch

Stand up shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

Stand up shower leaks when we shower, water comes from behind the wall, Someone said the drain pan (?) was leaking, how do we repair that?

Stand Up Shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower in the upstairs bathroom. I am now experiencing staining on the bathroom ceiling beneath the upstairs bathroom. I know its not a supply leak because we held off showering upstairs for months. I removed all the shower caulking and replaced it, thinking water was getting...

View more questions Search