Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joejoe23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Transmission Range Sensor Puzzle
    Help Please!
    Burning up range sensors every 2 months... last one burned up the same day.
    2005 ford escape, cd4e transaxle, 4 cyl
    Main questions:
    1. Will a defective TRS cause the P,R,N,D,2,1 "indicator box" (digital LED box that shows what position you are in) on the dashboard to rapidly switch back and forth between D, 1, and 2? This is what happens while I am drivng down the road, and the trans thinks that I am actually shifting into L2 and L1 and the rpms spike, and the car is jerking heavy as you can imagine. I replaced the first couple of TRS's and it seemed to solve the problem, but the last one went out after a couple hours, and I am wondering if there is something else going on here.
    2. I notice that sometimes the "indicator box" on the dashboard goes blank and there is no indication of what position I am in. When this happens, it appears the sensor is out of the circuit, and then the trans runs fine... no downshifting into L1 or L2. What does this mean?
    3. Is there a way the computer/scanner at a trans shop can determine if there is a short somewhere so that I don't have to buy a bushel barrel of TRS's?

Thanks for any help you can be,
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2009, 02:12 PM

Are you using the alignment tool, when you install the TRS?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace transmission range sensor [ 3 Answers ]

How do I replace the transmission range sensor in a ford windstar 2000

How do I chang the transmission range sensor on a 98 ford windstar 3.0 L [ 1 Answers ]

How do I chang the transmission range sensor on a 98 ford windstar 3.0 L

Transmission range sensor/ netural switch [ 1 Answers ]

Are the transmission range sensor and the netural switch the same? Thanks Doug

Transmission range switch vs position sensor [ 2 Answers ]

1998 Honda CR-V Check engine light came on. Honda troubleshot it saying it needed the transmission range switch replaced. After work done, invoice showed that the position sensor was replaced (part # 28900-P4T-003). Are these two parts one in the same? Thank you for your help.

View more questions Search