Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dincher Posts: 163, Reputation: 12

Oct 31, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Girlfriend makes me feel uncomfortable
    A good friend of mine makes me feel very uncomfortable with her racist views.

She's always talking about how "blacks should get over it" - meaning their getting offended at jokes, minstrel shows, etc.

This girl is actually a very nice person, but she sure has that flaw, which is not good in my opinion. It's like she uses the race relation topic to bond with other people. I don't know why else she would do that. She also seems to admire blond people for some reason.

I know that when she was a little kid, she was mistaken for not being white - point in case, she's british, with very light skin and the accent and all, but she has dark hair and eyes, so the blondies would make fun of her. They used to call her "wog" - a derogatory term for non whites who are not black either. What I find strange is that she has 1/2 brothers who have a middle eastern appearance but claim to be completely British.

Anyway, I don't want to get too much detail, but the point is that I think it's so weird - and I really do feel uncomfortable when she starts with that. I guess being an American does that to me. :confused:
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Maybe you should find another friend.

Some of the guys that I work with are very racist. But they know that I will not be a part of such discussions, or put up with hateful comments. They ( such comments) are very much against company policy, and will not be tolerated. I sometimes have to remind them of that fact.

You should ask the same of your friend, to not say such things around you. If she continues to do so, simply stop hanging around her. I am quite sure she says other things about minorities than you've mentioned that are even more hateful.

Racism is a ridiculous way of thinking. We are all GOD's children. HE loves us all the same.

Oh, and I am of "Middle Eastern appearance", and I live in Georgia (US).
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 31, 2009, 01:24 PM
    It is very uncomfortable to be in the company of people who see no harm in verbal assaults. Even if they're subtle, they are just not funny, and offensive to most. I call it an assault, because if it happens to be about your age, sex, religion, culture, or heritage, and you are of one of those groups that is the nature of the joke, it makes it that much harder to swallow.

An East Indian friend of mine had the best attitude of all. He simply ignored it, or walked away. I wondered for a long time if it really bothered him, and eventually became convinced he never gave it another thought.

He considers anybody in that category as uneducated. He thinks that they really do not understand what they are saying, or simply are not intelligent enough to know, and it doesn't get to him.

You can't cure an idiot.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 01:08 AM
    If this person is genuinely your friend, then you might at some strategic moment just say to her that the remarks make you feel uncomfortable. Just put it back onto yourself and say that it's your 'thing'.

I agree with Jake though, the best course of action is just to ignore her when she makes the jokes/comments.

I'm a 'wog' and over the years have found it works to have a poker face for this sort of thing and not to give them any energy at all.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dincher View Post

This girl is actually a very nice person,
    No she isn't - she is a racist and deserving of you contempt, not friendship.
    dincher Posts: 163, Reputation: 12

Nov 2, 2009, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    If this person is genuinely your friend, then you might at some strategic moment just say to her that the remarks make you feel uncomfortable. Just put it back onto yourself and say that it's your 'thing'.

I agree with Jake though, the best course of action is just to ignore her when she makes the jokes/comments.

I'm a 'wog' and over the years have found it works to have a poker face for this sort of thing and not to give them any energy at all.
    Lolol, well I too am a "wog", so maybe that's why it makes me feel uncomfortable - although she doesn't really talk about wogs more about blacks and arabs.
    araina Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 02:16 PM

Uknow what... she is insecure.. since she has been through the racist attacks she wans to talk about it more and more and make herself feel she is white...
    She doesn't mean to hurt you she wans to reassure herself and let people know she is a white...

And you she is damn stupid to talk lik that about blacks.. she is tooooooo insecure about her own colour and looks...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Makes me feel I am so boring [ 17 Answers ]

Hey all, I met up with my boyfriend today who is always willing to have sex with me but never willing to respond to my mails, texts or whatever. He does that when he wants to... so today when I asked him why he never responds... he said" hey listen stop cribbing....i've become so indifferent to...

He just makes me feel so good [ 3 Answers ]

I've been knowing this guy for about 3 years... I met him through his friend that I actually used to have a sexual relationship... I haven't slept with that guy in 2 years we don't een speak,, but now I want to pursue something with his friend we have slept togetha I just want to take it to the...

Why do I feel so uncomfortable around people? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in 7th grade this year, recently I just had an argument with a person in my class, it wasn't big at all. He's not even mad at me, but lately, I feel very uncomfortable around him. He was the one who started the argument, I embarrassed him quite a bit. So now, every time he ask me something, I...

How do I talk to him about sex and how he makes me feel about it ! [ 6 Answers ]

I've been with my partner for 5 years now and have had a good sex life but I find it really hard to ride him I've always got a resone not to do it! I have put on some weigth and he isent very caring about it and says things like "if you lose some weigth ill buy you some boobs" and "you need to get...

My 32 year old son makes me feel gulity [ 7 Answers ]

I am writing this after another round of fights with my son. He makes me feel guilty and question my own sanity. My son is 32 years old and does not work and will not work He says he is to stupid to work but he has had jobs and I find out he gets fired for fighting. I have kicked him out serval...

View more questions Search