Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redworm Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 08:00 AM
    OK I'm chef wondering if I can work for a reitrement community my charge was conspiracy to traffic...

I know on my papers it says my charge is removed from public view after 1 year if that helps

Ohhh I forgot I never had any jail time or anything just 1 year probation
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Hello red:

There's no law that prevents you from that kind of work. Besides, if they didn't let felons cook in restaurants or retirement communities, most of 'em would shut down.

Whether you had jail time or just probation doesn't matter. What matters is the conviction. Plus, I wouldn't count on your conviction being hidden from public view. If prospective employers want to find out about somebody, they can.

Best thing is, tell the truth, and cook your butt off.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2006, 09:06 AM
    While I agree with what excon said, there is an issue he may have missed. Working for a "retirement community" may give you access to drugs. Depends on your job and the type of community. But it could be a factor.

Nov 6, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Mmm only drugs ill be around is the food I'm hoping this doesn't ruin it for me I also told HR about this before I accepted the job
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Yes if this is a nursing home or a place where Medicare pays for most or all of the services there could be a problem.

In my work for example, because I suply a service paid for by medicare, no one ( not even the janitor) can have any felony convictions.

But if HR knows about it, then they would not have that rule ( or the kitchen may be exempt since they don't have that much direct contract wth the patents.

Good luck

Nov 6, 2006, 10:51 AM
    If HR is aware and offered the job, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about except keeping the old folks happy. ;)

Nov 6, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Not sure about Medicare don't think they could afford it I know the residents here pay 200k just to get into and apartment.. well I just did my drug test and filled out my W2 paper work my orentation is next Monday does anyone know how long it takes for them to see your back round check??

I ask because I just did one on myself and came back clean how could that be?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2006, 01:59 PM
    Ok, your senior living is not what I think of around here, and it is more apartments, we have a lot of assisted living, and they are like cheap motel 6's where staff help with the residents.

No this would not be a medicare houseing

Nov 6, 2006, 03:10 PM
    Yeah there is also assited living here also Fr_Chuck I know I told HR I just can't wait until I start I guess been buging my wife driving her crazy just a great job with great pay just hope it all works out

By the way thanks everyone for your help makes me feel a little bit better anyway

Nov 6, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Hey last one how long does it take to do a background check?? Days? Weeks? Months

I mean what use are these online checks if they don't show anything

Nov 6, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Depends on what company is doing the check and how in depth it is. Was your employment offer conditional on the background check? If not, don't worry.

Nov 6, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Yeah scott but aren't they all?? My paper work has been running with them since last week... today I did my drug test and filled out my w2 paper work oreatation is the 13 why do you think I should still worrie??

They called everyone I worked for including Disney whom I was a sous chef for so I was just guessing that they got all the paper work back since I filled out the w2 and did a drug test

Something else I forgot to say is that this just happen to me also like 2-3 months ago so maybe that's why its not showing up yet??

Nov 7, 2006, 04:59 AM
    Hey last thing maybe you can answer is on the app wouldn't it say felonys need not apply or something?

Nov 7, 2006, 07:34 AM
    I'm saying you should NOT worry.

Nov 7, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Cool thxs scott

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Truck driving with felony [ 28 Answers ]

I am a convicted felon looking for a job in the truck driving, industry, my conviction is 6 years old, I am looking for trucking companies that are willing to hire a truck driver with a criminal past.

Living with a felony [ 40 Answers ]

Do companies have the right to exclude a candidate from a job position based on a felony conviction? I was recently hired by an IT consulting firm to do a software deployment for a major bank. The consulting firm investigated my background, after I had fully disclosed the information to them. ...

Expunge felony theft over 1000 [ 4 Answers ]

I want to expunge a felony theft over 1000 charge. I pleaded guilty, paid my fees, finished probation. This was over 3 years ago. How do I go about doing it, and how much will it cost?

DOJ Dismisses Felony Tax Prosecution with prejudice. [ 1 Answers ]

On May 12, 2006 in Peoria, Illinois, the attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) begged the court to dismiss all charges against IRS victim Robert Lawrence in federal District Court. The motion for dismissal came on the heels of a surprise tactic by Lawrence’s defense attorney Oscar...

New York visit [ 2 Answers ]

I am coming out of Boston and I want to drive to a location in Connecticut and take a train into the city. I want to enter at Grand Central and not Penn Station. Where in Connecticut can I do this and I also need to know about long term parking (4 days). My son is applying to NYU and any...

View more questions Search