Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 29, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Return of tax-deductible gift
    Have a question regarding the return of a tax-deductible gift that a friend made to a school back in 2003. In 2003 the school accepted the gift and issued him a receipt so that he could deduct the gift from his taxes. Unfortunately in the intervening years he and the school have had an ongoing series of disagreements over policy, and after years of acrimonious back and forth the school has agreed to return his gift to him. So my question is: how should the return of a tax-deductible gift be treated on his income tax? It's too late to go back and file a 1040-X for the year he took the deduction. It seems to me this is taxable income to him if he deducted the gift, much like a refund of income taxes from a state or municipality. Should the school issue some sort of 1099 form to him? Or should the school not worry about his tax implications and just send the check?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 29, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Actually, he CAN go back and amend his 2003 return to pay the additional tax.

The three-year statute of limitations applies ONLY for claiming a refund. You can amend past year returns as far back as you want in order to PAY taxes.

Now, is that recommended? No, it is not, because, in addition to the additional tax, interest and possibly penalties would also be due.

The best course of action would be for the friend to claim the returned gift as "Other Income" on Line #21 of Form 1040, provided he in fact deducted the gift on his 2003 tax return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 29, 2009, 10:24 AM

Thank ATE. So the school shouldn't issue any form of document to him, other than perhaps cover letter with the check? As a tax payer it would annoy me to know that he deducted the gift back in '03, but there's no paper trail that would induce him to report the income in 2009.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Oct 29, 2009, 12:19 PM

You would rather then have him penalized for his generosity?

Let us give the donor the benefit of the doubt and assume his civic duty would urge him to place an entry on line 21.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to return a gift [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, my duaghter was given a car for her birthday by a friend. After three year they end the relation now he wants the car back.The car is registerd in his company's name what to do

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

Gift tax return for previous year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I had given a gift to my mother in 2007 for which I had not submitted a gift tax return (the gift value exceeded the limit of 12k for tax year 2007). Can I submit the gift tax return for 2007 now? If so, what form do I use? Thank you very much. -PuzzledByTaxes

Is NJ-SUI and NJ-WK Deductible? [ 1 Answers ]

On my wife's W-2, NJ-SUI and NJ-WK is listed. SUI is supplemental unemployment tax but I do not know what NJ-WK is? Could you provide an answer. Also are either of these items tax deductible on the Federal 1040. Thanks, Barry

Tax deductible? [ 1 Answers ]

Are personal items that were appraised and taken to a dealer for sale with the money going to the trustee to dispurse tax deuctible.

View more questions Search