Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 11:11 PM
    Heat pump and how it works
    How does a heat pump work? I have a White-Rogers Low Voltage Multi-Stage Heat Pump thermostat also. I need to find out if it is working right.

Thank you,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 29, 2009, 01:56 AM
    HowStuffWorks "How Heat Pumps Work"
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Oct 29, 2009, 01:55 PM

There are a couple things you can do to verify it is working right. Start by just running your EM heat by switching your tstat to that and jacking up the temp. The heat pump should not be running but you should feel warm air. Next flip back to normal heat and kick up the temp. The heat pump should start running, and thermostat not indicate your them heat is not on. After a little while you should have warm air. Don't jack up the tstat too quickly in normal heat mode or you them heat might come on.

You should become familiar with what the indicators mean on your tstat.

Only other way to verify is with a multimeter.

Post back if you have any questions or this doesn't make sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 yr old heat pump, heat works, no cool [ 10 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that was 3 years old in May. We went to change from heating to cooling about a month ago. I noticed later that it wasn't cooling. Checked and found it had tripped the breaker. Reset and instantly threw the breaker again. Called a friend that does A/C work on the side. We...

Heat Pump only works above 50 degrees [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump only works in cool weather, not at all in cold. It only blows cold air in temps below about 45-50 degrees. I don't think the aux heater and/ or the emergency heat are coming on. Where do I need to go in the unit to check these components? Thanks

Carrier heat pump works fine so far, won't go into defrost mode [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrie heat pump that is working fine so far. It still provide heat for my home. It just dose not go in to defrost mode to defrost the out side unit. I have read to put the unit in auxialry mode to get a few extra defrost cycles in, but when I read the flash codes it never say anything...

My heat pump AC works but not on heating cycle [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house in AZ and there are 2 Lennox (sic?) heat/AC pumps, one for each floor... it has 2 Honeywell TH8000 thermostats. Last winter there wasn't any problems but tonight it started getting cold so I turned it from cool setting to heat, I can hear relays in the TS click and it says...

Coleman Evcon D.E.S. II Heat Pump- works intermittently [ 1 Answers ]

She's an old one... I'm guessing the late 70's or 80's, but since I've lived here (4years) it seems to work for a while, but then stop... I hear a fan blowing, but it's cold air. Then I look at the t'stat and the red emergency light is on... cold air coming out of the vents. I look at the unit...

View more questions Search