Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JUSB4DAWN3 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Nov 5, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Mini Dash How To Tell If She Is Pregnant
    How can I tell if she is pregnant, is there any signs to look for? She is now not in heat (or at least the male is leaving her alone) but we do not know if we caught her in heat soon enough to separate them. If she is how long do they stay pregnant? I am real new at this can you tell lol:confused:
    gansada Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2006, 07:10 PM
    Okay, first of all what typr of animal is Mini Dash?

Peace!

Nov 5, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Mini daschund
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 07:52 PM
    There is little to do except take her to the vet after about a month.

Do you have any idea how much misery people that are ''real new at this can you tell lol'' create? I am not laughing. The people whose job it is slaughtering unwanted dogs aren't either. Is it asking people too much to do a little research before letting dogs breed? A good place to start is www.petfinders.org and see how many Mini Dashes in your area need homes. Plagiarized from another site:

''DO you want your dogs puppies to end up here (warning this is graphic and a huge reality check)?-->
    http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx ''

I don't want to beat up on you, but I am afraid you have unknowingly added to a problem I am very concerned about.

Nov 5, 2006, 08:03 PM
    FIRST off we will not have unwanted puppies around here!! So do not assume you know the situation unless you have ASKED the proper questions. We have 2 mini's and they are loved very very much and treated as our kids. NOW... I have never had one go in heat when I had a male so I am new at learning that process!! If it bothers you just to give a simple answer to a question maybe you should not hit "answer this question" button. BTW we have looked and looked for an unwanted mini dash for 5 months before we ended up buying Sarah, so again you assume there is so many in this area with out homes and you assume wrong!
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Nov 5, 2006, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSB4DAWN3
    FIRST off we will not have unwanted puppies around here!!!!!!!!! so do not assume you know the situation unless you have ASKED the proper questions. We have 2 mini's and they are loved very very much and treated as our kids. NOW....I have never had one go in heat when I had a male so I am new at learning that process!!!!!! If it bothers you just to give a simple answer to a question maybe you should not hit "answer this question" button. BTW we have looked and looked for an unwanted mini dash for 5 months before we ended up buying Sarah, so again you assume there is so many in this area with out homes and you assume wrong!
    A dog's gestation period is 63 days.

No one said you didn't love your dogs. What labman was expressing is that to have a pet, one should be aware of some basics about caring for them BEFORE acquiring them.

Have you had her for a long time? Why isn't she spayed?

Being "new to this" is hardly an excuse to allow an unaltered male around an unaltered female. It doesn't take a professional breeder to know that that scenario could lead to unwanted puppies.

My advice is (though, I imagine that you will find my tone and advice as unsatisfactory as labman's): Contact your vet and have her examined. Then schedule a spay for her and a neuter for your male.

Nov 6, 2006, 06:33 AM
    OK that is 2 different people who have said UNWANTED puppies... they would not be unwanted! And I talked to the vet before hand but there were about 3 days we didn't know for sure if she was in heat and since we work for a living they were left alone. I will not ask another question on here. Too much assuming and toooooo much drama
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2006, 07:08 AM
    I am very sorry you found us inhospitable here. Although there are exceptions, most people that know and love dogs, ask that people learn more about dogs before starting breeding. The better ones try to give gentle answers that may actually change people's behavior. I don't know any site where the consensus would support you.
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Nov 6, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSB4DAWN3
    ok that is 2 different people who have said UNWANTED puppies....they would not be unwanted !! And I talked to the vet before hand but there were about 3 days we didn't know for sure if she was in heat and since we work for a living they were left alone. I will not ask another question on here. too much assuming and toooooo much drama
    Too much assuming and too much drama?
    I assume (again, at my own peril) that you want the puppies but do not know the gestation period for them? Get a clue... you do a huge disservice to animals by breeding them without first learning about it. What happens when your dog has complications due to the pregnancy?

It's irresponsible behavior and we responded as people who care about animal's welfare. Your vet may not be as blunt with you, but I have no reason to coddle you and your lapse of judgement regarding your pet.

It's unfortunate that you feel so unhappy regarding this site. My guess is that you are unhappy with it because we did not provide the answer coated with sugar. However, the answers were accurate and I won't apologize for that. Good luck... sounds like you'll need it.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 6, 2006, 06:03 PM
    http://www.drna.org/available.asp 13 pages of pictures of Dachshunds, crosses, and mixes waiting for homes. This is ONLY 1 example of a rescue site!

From a breeder site... Hello, before you consider purchasing a puppy, you should know that there are literally thousands of puppies and dogs sitting in shelters looking for a home. These are the product of puppy mills and irresponsible breeders just out to make a profit from the animals, with no care to their welfare at all. I've listed some links below you may want to check out. Before you buy, from anyone, be sure that they are ethical and really care for their animals. If everyone would do this, then puppy mills would be no more. Thank you very much for checking out my website, and thanks to all the rescue organizations out there who are there for those who cannot speak for themselves.

ALMOST HOME DACHSHUND RESCUE SOCIETY
    DACHSHUND ADOPTION AND RESCUE (D.A.R.E.)
    DACHSHUND RESCUE WEB PAGE
    DACHSHUND CLUB OF AMERICA RESCUE
    THE DACHSHUND NETWORK RESCUE
    LOVE A DOX DACHSHUND RESCUE CONTACTS
    NETPETS DACHSHUND RESCUE GROUPS
    AKC NATIONAL BREED CLUB RESCUE NETWORK
    1-800-SAVE-A-PET

COAST TO COAST DACHSHUND RESCUE

DACHSHUND RESCUE OF NORTH AMERICA
    PETFINDER - ADOPT A HOMELESS PET
    PUPPYMILL RESCUE
    HEARTS UNITED FOR ANIMALS
    End.

I ran a shelter for years and have had the displeasure of KILLING thousands of animals. Many were purebreds. You may have lots of puppies that are wanted in your area, but if you don't even know how long your dog is pregnant you have NO BUSINESS breeding.

We have clients that breed Chihuahua's and can't even spell the breeds name. I know that they love their dogs and always find them a home. But that doesn't mean they SHOULD be breeders!

Will you or can you always take back one of your puppies? Will they all be spayed or neutered or will they continue to be bred also. Have you had any genetic testing to ensure you are not passing down traits unwanted?
    A good breeder waits until a female dog is at least 2 yrs old, did you? Do you strive for sound temperament, correct structure, and good genetic health. Good show dogs MUST have good temperaments and therefore, produce good pet temperaments as well.
    If you still want to breed then here are 10 good reasons http://www.canismajor.com/dog/reason10.html
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Nov 6, 2006, 06:18 PM
    Hello,

First, may I suggest spay and or neuter. Average gestation is about 63 days This may be shorter with smaller breeds. For the first three weeks or so of pregnancy, you may not notice any changes in the . Some females will become more demanding for attention, their nipples may enlarge slightly, and some may become hungrier. These are not a guarantee of a pregnancy, but are good signs. Es can show the same signs during 'false pregnancy,' a hormonal abnormality, which may occur after a has been in heat.
    Several methods are available to determine pregnancy. A clear mucoid vaginal discharge may be seen. It is a reasonably reliable sign of pregnancy and is noticed about 4-5 weeks into pregnancy and continues until parturition. Ultrasound is able to pick up fetal heartbeats at about 28 days into gestation. This will not be able to determine the number of puppies but can give an estimate and can confirm a pregnancy. At about the same time, a veterinarian may be able to palpate the uterus and feel the fetuses. This may not be possible on a large dog or one that has the puppies under the rib cage. A blood test to check for pregnancy is available.

I have left you with three links that may be of some help to you.

Determining if a is pregnant

Neutering - Why it's a Good Idea

Spaying - Why it's a Good Idea

National Stats
    The sad fact is once a puppy or kitten is past its cuteness; or a pet displays behaviors we do not know how to deal with, many pets are discarded like old newspapers. On average 100,000 cats and dogs and puppies are listed on www.petfinder.com, daily. The National Council reports it on Pet Population Study and Policy, from the 5000 or so US agencies who responded to the survey, that over 2 million dogs enter shelters annually. Of those 27% are relinquished by owners, 42% are turned in by animal control, 31 by other sources, of these dogs, 56% are euthanized.
    84Catherine Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 26, 2008, 11:08 AM
    First of all I would like to say that I am appalled at the way Labman and Justbe4dawn has addressed the person who wanted to know about dachshund pregnancy! You two should be ashamed of yourselves! I realize you are pet right's activists but geeeeezzzz! CALM DOWN before someone suggests that you two should be spayed and neutered!

To this person I would like to say that I am sorry that you were treated in this way and not everyone is so rude and pompus to someone new to dog breeding. Some people just don't know about breeding and shouldn't have their heads taken off because of their lack of knowledge of said protocol!

As you have said, the puppies are indeed wanted and I agree it is NOT always easy to find dachshunds in some areas. So if you are keeping the puppies then where is the harm? Just make sure that you take the pregnant dog to the vet on the regular visits as well as the newborn pups. Good Luck and you and your Doxie family are in my prayers!

OH and Labman and Justbe4dawn - you are in my prayers too!
    dashoundlover Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Mar 24, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tre_cani View Post
    too much assuming and too much drama??
    I assume (again, at my own peril) that you want the puppies but do not know the gestation period for them? Get a clue... You do a huge disservice to animals by breeding them without first learning about it. What happens when your dog has complications due to the pregnancy?

It's irresponsible behavior and we responded as people who care about animal's welfare. Your vet may not be as blunt with you, but i have no reason to coddle you and your lapse of judgement regarding your pet.

It's unfortunate that you feel so unhappy regarding this site. My guess is that you are unhappy with it because we did not provide the answer coated with sugar. However, the answers were accurate and i won't apologize for that. Good luck...sounds like you'll need it.
    I feel that if these 2 had as much compasion for people as they say they do for there animals they would have been more help and not so sarcastic
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2009, 04:05 AM
    I know I can sound a bit snappy sometimes when it comes to backyard breeding and people who have no idea, Some people just aren't educated in how important it is to get your dog spayed or neutered that is why accidents like this happen and thus more unwanted puppies are brought into the world...
    Also... this post is really really old...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 08:26 AM

Dashoundlover, this thread is from 2006.

You are encouraged to read old posts, but by posting on it you've bumped it to the top of the list and that's not acceptable.

Please refrain from posting on old posts, thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dash Lights [ 1 Answers ]

So many of the lights in my dash have burned out that I can't see how fast I'm going at night! In the repair books it shows six screws on the face plate of the instrument cluster, mine doesn't have any. Anyone familiar with this? 1991 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. Thanks

Problem with dash on a 96' civic [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Friends: I just recently bought a 96 civic coupe and Im having a problem with the dashboard and center console lights. I took it to the repair shop and they told me they fixed it, but it came back after a week. They said that it was the fuse and a wire, but it's recurring at...

97 cavalier dash removal [ 0 Answers ]

I need help removeing the dash on my 97 cavalier, I got all the screws but one, the one right or the airbag, I can't find it, please help

Mini Dash Being Sick after Eating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a mini Dash who is now 7 years old, recently she has been gagging as if she has something stuck in her throat. It does not happen all the time yet today she has been sick after eating her food. I always soak her food but today she had difficulty in swallowing it, she kept vomitting...

6 week old mini dash. [ 1 Answers ]

4 days ago I brought home my new puppy- He is a 6wk old male mini dash. He is as sweet as can be, healthy and seems to be highly intelligent. He is quite small-he was the "runt" of the litter- so I am nervous when it comes to taking care of him. I mix wet puppy food and dry puppy food together at...

View more questions Search