Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mzzzmilam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 05:19 PM
    Relinquished Parental Rights/child support?
    We adopted my 10-day old niece on 12/17/04. We adopted her through the state as the mother's parental rights were terminated. We received the child when she was only 10 days old. My brother is the alleged father and no testing was involved. He was served and signed papers when the child was less than one month old, relinquishing his rights to the child. 3.5 years later he had his drivers license revoked because they are stating he owes child support for the child. My question is: should he owe child support for any period prior to the official adoption if he relinquished his rights?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 02:50 PM
    It doesn't sound like it. If he was never ordered by the court to pay child support, then he shouldn't have to. The adoptive parents are the legal parents and are the ones legally responsible for providing financial support. It sounds from your post that your brother was never even proven to be the father. It sounds like something just slipped through the cracks here. Your brother should speak with an attorney. A competent attorney should be able to straighten this out without too much difficulty or expense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

View more questions Search