Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marrcia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 01:14 PM
    How to retouch highlights on regrwoth hair, if the person has color on hair too?
    My name is Marcela I have my cosmetology license but no experience, so I need you help badly, 3 moths ago I did highlights on a lady that had her hair colored burgundy, with store color, after I did her highlights the back part turn out good, but the top had a little orange spots because Im still a little slow on doing highlights, so what I did, I applied ash level 8 to cancel the orange spots. It turn out good, but 2 months later her haircolor turn out red and but highlights still look good. Now she has regrowth (black and grey hair) but I don't know what to do, because I haven't done highlights retouch. So need your help on what to do--1-should I just retouch the highlights and leave all the rest of hair natural? 2-or should I retouch highligts and at the same time color the rest of the regrowth and match it with the rest of her hair? 3-should I just touch up the color all over with no highlights? Please help need your best advise for a good result.Also want to know when just doing highlights retouch, you apply toner after,at all?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 03:08 PM

Cap or foil highlights?

With cap highlights, you pull out a loop - trying to pull out near the roots. Limit the loop's length to half the length of the new growth (it loops back on itself for the other halr). For foils, you slip a foil underneath the selected strands. Paint bleach on the new growth area only.

There is a technique known as "tone-on-tone" where you touch up the roots and when that is finished, you highlight over the dyed roots to touch up the highlights. This works quite well if the base color isn't too dark, though it is labor intensive.
    marrcia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    Cap or foil highlights?

With cap highlights, you pull out a loop - trying to pull out near the roots. Limit the loop's length to half the length of the new growth (it loops back on itself for the other halr). For foils, you slip a foil underneath the selected strands. Paint bleach on the new growth area only.

There is a technique known as "tone-on-tone" where you touch up the roots and when that is finished, you highlight over the dyed roots to touch up the highlights. This works quite well if the base color isn't too dark, though it is labor intensive.
    Hey, when I did this ladys highlights with foil, I apply toner to cancel orange on top, but after certain time, the hair faded, and then I turned out light red on top and brown,(brown) on the bottom part, why did that came uneven? Also, what do u suggest If I do the highlights retouch, should retouch them wash & dry, and then go back and cover highlights with conditioner and apply one even color all around her hair to fix the uneven color, or What do you think would be better to do, any suggestions? Also, after highlights retouch do you apply toner @ all or not. Thanks for you help. Thanks a lot.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2009, 11:12 AM

Hair fading is always a big problem, and the problem is even worse with highlights. You don't want to keep "refreshing" the color if you don't have to. Most people don't tone highlights for that reason. You have to get the highlights light enough that they don't look too brassy.

For evening out the color, I'd suggest to apply the color first (use conditioner, if necessary, to prevent the color from touching what you don't want it to touch) wash and dry, and then do the highlights.
    sol305 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Foil her hair with the highlight that are already there do not apply any product get wave and leave alone the apply a color wash out the color with shampoo it well creata coper highlight affect on the high light and the red well be refreached, it well be great!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Dyed my hair lighter blonde ,it turned to orange how do I get my old hair color backk [ 7 Answers ]

I wanted to dye my hair to a lighter blonde but it turned out orange how do I get my normal hair color back?!

Can I highlight my colored hair with liquid permanent hair color [ 1 Answers ]

Can I highlight my permanent colored hair with liquid permanent hair color

If I have black hair and I want to get highlights what color should I get. [ 2 Answers ]

I have black hair and I want to get highlights so what color highlights should I get...

Fixing hair color on dark hair? [ 2 Answers ]

I have caramel and ash brown highlights on black hair and wanted to touch up the roots myself... unfortunately, when I used a box of medium ash brown hair dye, it made my roots look a little reddish brown (very slight on the reddish). I also covered too much so it looks like the top of my head is...

View more questions Search