Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ashriel Posts: 52, Reputation: 8

Oct 27, 2009, 12:35 PM
    I shoplift and want to stop
    I'm 21 years old. Every few weeks, I'll steal stuff from stores such as Barnes and Noble or Target. I've almost gotten caught twice, and I'm worried I will get caught eventually and face charges.
    I don't think I have a serious problem, I don't do it for a high, I don't do it every time I"m in a store, but when I want something and don't have the money for it, I'll usually slip it into my purse, and it's so easy that it feels like free stuff.

I almost got caught at Walmart, I set the alarm off walking out, but I had bought something, and the lady never checked my purse, she just let me go.
    And at Barnes and Noble the alarm went off once but I just kept walking out and nobody seemed to notice. Do you think they will look back at cameras and see me stealing and then catch me if I go back to the store? I've avoided going to the Walmart because the woman who stopped me wrote down my transaction number and the time because I set off the alarm, so I figure if they looked back at cameras they would see me stealing and arrest me if I went back there.
    Do stores like Target randomly watch their cameras often?

How do I stop doing this? Should I avoid going to stores alone? I really don't want to do this anymore, it's just so easy and free.
    I really need to stop, the idea of getting caught and having this on my record terrifies me.

Any tips, other than "just stop it". Maybe from others who have dealt with this in their own lives?
    Thanks.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 12:40 PM

You keep saying it's free, but it isn't.

Because of you prices go up and people like me, that actually pay for their items, have to pay those prices.

I don't think I have a serious problem
    You do have a serious problem, but not one that we can help you with. The first step is wanting to stop, which is where you're at, the second step sadly is getting help, which is what you don't want to hear.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 12:45 PM
    It sounds like you have an addiction. Do you use drugs? Do you drink heavily? Sometimes it's the rush, or excitement of stealing that you are looking for. It's not really about the merchandise is it? Well, you really need to get help. You realize now that you have a problem, and that's good.

So, how to stop? You get into a 12 step program like Alcoholics Anonymous. There is a group, Here it is: http://www.shopliftersanonymous.com/
    It is shoplifter's anonymous. It's "kin" to AA, and will help you. You will have meetings, with people who will, like you, stay anonymous.It's free and worldwide. There should be a meeting near you.

You should go now before you get arrested.

Now that you know you have a problem, and want to stop, you should commit yourself to doing the right thing. Free yourself of this addiction.

Good luck to you.
    Emyth Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 01:15 PM

Haha, a pet expert.

I have a ferret that steals stuff too. It's pretty bad I think he has a problem.. Could you help me out ?
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 01:21 PM

Ashriel disagrees: not helpful. I'm totally open to getting help. But I was looking more for advice, rather than admonishment. Stick to your expertise.
    Time to read the rules. My post was opinion. It's against the rules to give a reddie for an opinion.

I gave you advice, if you don't like it then don't follow it, that's up to you.

As for my expertise, do you really think that people are limited to only one area of expertise? Don't let the title fool you, I'm not limited to pet knowledge.
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emyth View Post
    Haha, a pet expert.

I have a ferret that steals stuff too. It's pretty bad I think he has a problem.. Could you help me out ?
    Emyth, if you don't have anything to add to this thread then please refrain from posting. This is not a chat site, this is a question and answer site.

If you need help with your ferret then post your question in the pet forum, don't hijack someone's thread. If you're just joking then your post is not appropriate for this site.

Time to read the rules kids.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashriel View Post
    it's just so easy and free.
    It's not free... I have to pay for it. Because of people like you stores have to raise their prices and those price increases come out of my pocket and make it hard for me to put food on the table for my family and my two growing children.

How do you stop? Next time you put something in your purse look over at the young mother who has had to clip coupons to feed her baby.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Alty might be a pet expert but she clearly knows stealing is wrong.

As far as the original post you do have a problem and you do need to seek help. If it wasn't a high or some thrill then you would be smart enough to stop. Your worried about being caught and arrested. Well so be it. Maybe the shame from your name being put in the papers and your friends and family finding out will stop you.

Do you think your job or friends would ever trust you if you were caught? How about your family? Do you want to be labeled a thief? I believe you do, unless you make the choice for help.
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashriel View Post
    You did NOT give me advice, you gave me your opinion on my situation stating that I am the cause of the increase of prices for things in stores. Not helpful.
    The one part of your post the might be considered advice is when you said I need to get help. However that isn't really advice, because you gave me no actual where, why, how, when on the whole "get help" thing.

And your "advice" giving definitely shows that we are all limited to certain areas of expertise. Sorry to be blunt, but perhaps think before posting opinions rather than advice.
    I always find it amusing when people come here for advice and then get angry when they're told the truth.

You steal, you're a thief, so yes, you are responsible for the increase in prices because the store has to recoup their losses somehow. You may not want to hear it, but that doesn't make it any less true.

As for where you can get help, start with a psychologist or psychiatrist, find out why you feel the need to steal. You say you don't do it for a high, so obviously there's another reason why. Only you know that reason.

Your comment about my advice, well, that's your opinion. My reputation here speaks for itself, so be as blunt as you want. I'm going to do what you should do which is ignore your opinion.

Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 01:43 PM
    This site has many members. You have insulted one that is highly respected by giving her a "reddie" incorrectly. You will not get the help you are asking for by telling people how to answer your questions. If you feel that an answer is not helping you, just disregard it.

I suggest you re-read the site rules.

Basically when you throw a question out there, you get what you get.

The last thing you want to do is to get everyone angry here. Trust me, I know. I did it too. I didn't know exactly how the "agree/disagree" system worked.

If you want help, try to be more understanding. The reputation system is based on correct/incorrect answers. Altenweg's response was not factually incorrect. Prices DO in fact go up to offset shoplifting.

Now, did you look at the site I provided?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
    I looked over the other questions that you have asked. I think you are crying out for attention and help in a not very productive way at the moment.

You need to understand that addiction is not something that you have to do every time you go the store. Some drunks go months between drinks. One of the things that makes them an alcoholic is that when their trigger is set off they have to have that drink. For you it is shoplifting when you 'don't have the cash'.

Your defensiveness and proclamation that you don't have a problem are at odds with your wanting help. NO ONE can help you until you are open to wanting that help. Until you hit rock bottom, which in your case might be an arrest, you will probably only give lip service to wanting to stop.

You can take measures to slow yourself down. Don't go shopping alone or with anyone who also steals. Don't carry a purse especially not a large one. Be honest with yourself about why and when youshoplift or get the urge. Educate yourself on the consequences of shoplifting to you, the store, and other customers.

I sincerely hope you get yourself under control and find the help you need before you end up in jail.
    Emyth Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Emyth, if you don't have anything to add to this thread then please refrain from posting. This is not a chat site, this is a question and answer site.

If you need help with your ferret then post your question in the pet forum, don't hijack someone's thread. If you're just joking then your post is not appropriate for this site.

Time to read the rules kids.
    My contribution to this thread was in mere attempt to lighten-up the responses. This isn't a high-jacking, I was just merely amused that a Pet Expert was crucifying some one who seems harmless.

I'm a pretty laid back guy, and very understanding to the plight of others. Perhaps OP has a problem but shouldn't be slammed for it. I've actually read some threads about Drug addicts stealing to support their habit who've gotten more support than OP. Give the girl some credit, she's trying; and perhaps with positive feed back and advice this labeled problem will resolve.

As far as babies not being fed because of 'people like her' that's just way off base. Employees as well as customers who steal retail such as books contribute for an estimated 1% of yearly 'annual loss' this wouldn't be enough to cause retail prices to inflate... I understand it's easy to blame people, especially when it's for something we don't understand, but witch hunts are a dying tradition... try to move forward. Food and hygienics are a different market than books and recreational retail.

Also not meaning to bash but, a high reputation doesn't give anyone the right to brand some one or start trolling I believe that's in the rules too. And I'm actually surprised to see this thread continuing in that direction.
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 03:06 PM

I do have to point this out.

Ashriel, in this thread;

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/christ...ue-394217.html

You claim to be a Christian, in fact you were worried about having premarital sex because you felt it wasn't clear whether it was a sin.

Well Ashriel, stealing is a sin, check out the 10 commandments, it's clear as day.

Maybe that's the insentive you need to quit.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Ashriel, I have only read this question thread and I do not comment on others' faith. I need to comment on your integrity.

You're a thief. That means you're also a liar because you lie to the store people. It looks to me like you're also lying to yourself about the harm your thefts cause to you if not to the general public.

You will be caught. Several times by the statistics I have read. When you get caught enough times you will go to jail and I will pay for your upkeep. Please start being honest with yourself, we don't matter. That's your first step.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emyth View Post
    My contribution to this thread was in mere attempt to lighten-up the responses. This isn't a high-jacking, I was just merely amused that a Pet Expert was crucifying some one who seems harmless.

I'm a pretty laid back guy, and very understanding to the plight of others. Perhaps OP has a problem but shouldn't be slammed for it. I've actually read some threads about Drug addicts stealing to support their habit who've gotten more support than OP. Give the girl some credit, she's trying; and perhaps with positive feed back and advice this labeled problem will resolve.

As far as babies not being fed because of 'people like her' that's just way off base. Employees as well as customers who steal retail such as books contribute for an estimated 1% of yearly 'annual loss' this wouldn't be enough to cause retail prices to inflate... I understand it's easy to blame people, especially when it's for something we don't understand, but witch hunts are a dying tradition... try to move forward. Food and hygienics are a different market than books and recreational retail.

Also not meaning to bash but, a high reputation doesn't give anyone the right to brand some one or start trolling I believe that's in the rules too. and I'm actually surprised to see this thread continuing in that direction.
    That percentage put into dollars...

http://www.backgroundcheckexpress.co...%20Article.pdf

I spent a lot of years in retail management and I can tell you that even the above figures do not take into consideration other expenses/costs that are passed on to the public because of theft such as; security personal, security equipment; cameras, alert equipment at exits, security tags, etc, working hours devoted to surveillance, time spent in court, and more.

$42.3 Billion dollars in North America and that figure was for 2008.

Stringer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 06:03 PM

Well I will guess no one is going to like my answer but you want to steal, so you steal, you don't have any problem beyond being selfish and greedy. People who can't help theirself often don't even know they steal till they get home with it.

You steal because you want something you don't have money for.

So yes the real answer is you just stop it, you can stop anytime you want the only real problem is you prefer not to stop
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 06:13 PM

In your first post you said that you want to stop stealing stuff. Well I will tell you that you will stop. In fact you will stop about three times. The first time you will be caught and placed before a judge and he will give you three months jail time. The second time you will be tried before a jury and they will hate to mess up such a you and nice boy's life so they will give you a year in jail, but you will get out in just a couple of months. The third time is the kicker, you will get caught and be tried by a jury that knows your history and you will be given life in prison for being a habitual thief.

And I will say good ridance.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 07:25 PM
    J_9 agrees: But you know better now! Muwahhh... LOVE YA!

Yes, I do girl! Back at you.
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    J_9 agrees: But you know better now!! Muwahhh....LOVE YA!

Yes, I do girl! Back at ya.
    We all made mistakes when we were new. Not me of course, because I'm perfect. :D

Hey! Don't laugh! Stop it! :(
    Ashriel Posts: 52, Reputation: 8

Oct 27, 2009, 09:33 PM
    Agreeing/disagreeing: I had never before read the rules about agreeing/disagreeing. I thought it was pretty black and white, like you either agree or disagree with what the person wrote. Lol. So now I have read the rules, and I'm happily properly informed. My bad !

Not going to lie, I feel attacked. It saddens me how everyone's reacted. When a member posts something about how they might have a problem with weed and what to do about it, generally people don't respond with "How could you! You buying weed is enabling the Mexican drug war! You are a murderer!" Other times I post with issues I"m having, I generally haven't been crucified for it, which is nice. But this time, it's like I'm a terrible person, and I generally disagree. I have issues like everyone.

I realize I have a problem that I need to overcome, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this. That should seem obvious enough. Me writing "I don't think I have a problem" was definitely my more wishful thinking side coming out.

I think bringing up my faith is a bit uncalled for. There are many many sins listed in the Bible that each one of us commit every day, and just because it's in the Bible doesn't make it any easier to avoid, or any less available to commit. (gossiping, lying, stealing, jealousy, sexual immorality, etc) We are humans and unfortunately we sin.

I want to thank the people who actually gave me advice, such as "check out this website for help" or "carry a small purse".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplift [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a college student from Windsor and I shopped at somerset mall today in Detroit area. I tried to shoplift at the body shop and the salesperson almost caught me so I paid for that skincare. But I already had some subjects in my bag that I shoplifted from other stores before. I know it was wrong...

Shoplift in canada,alberta [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a foreign worker here in Canada,Alberta.My W-1 visa already expire last Aug 2008 but my working permit still valid until May 2010.I was caught of shoplifting last Mar 1,2008 first offence.I was brought to the police station and release without doing finger printing nor picture taking.The police...

My niece was involved in a shoplift. [ 1 Answers ]

My niece, was arrested for shoplifting at sears at a mall in Maryland one year ago.she stole a bracelet priced for $7 or $8( I do not really remember.)... a police officer came to the security room , pictures of her were taken and ,she was asked not to go to the mall for a period of one year....

SHOPLIFT Montreal (-5000) -Suggestions? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everybody! Last Sunday I stole a pair of jeans($108) from a store in montreal, I got caught in the parking lot by undercover security guys, I didn't deny or resist to anything... We went to a small office where the asked me for ids, the filled a report wich I never saw and they made me...

View more questions Search