Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ashriel Posts: 52, Reputation: 8

Oct 27, 2009, 09:39 PM

Also, I find it a weee bit over the top to say that the reason prices go up, the reason a young mother has to clip coupons, is because people shoplift.
    Shoplifting is to prices going up what a penny is to a dollar.

Also, as for all of the other costs that pile up throughout our country because of people stealing and committing crimes, if it weren't for people committing crimes, unfortunately there would be hundreds of thousands of people without jobs.

Just a thought. NO I do not think that people's jobs is a reason at ALL for someone to say it's OK to steal or commit crimes. I just think it's an interesting thought.
    Emyth Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    We all made mistakes when we were new. Not me of course, because I'm perfect. :D

Hey! Don't laugh! Stop it! :(
    I'm for my very first time, disgusted with another human being... wow..

Great accomplishment.

Perhaps to you this will be a blessing in disguise; But you've compelled me to actually close my account and refrain from ever coming back here for advice.

You're quite the impetuous self righteous clown; undoubtedly the product of confused parenting. Maybe one day you'll reflect on this reading and find yourself in a correlation of truth through a series of hopeful misfortune on your behalf.

After recently learning the frame work for profiling people, I'm sure anyone with fancy reputation and the Noble title of ' Pet expert ' will obsessively-compulsively want to reply and have their last word in. I don't plan on checking this thread again I have more important things to do like finish off my college degree; so have at it; you've earned it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 09:47 PM

Ashriel, I only brought up your faith because in your other thread you seemed very concerned about living your life according to the bible. Sex before marriage isn't one of the ten commandments, stealing is.

When you posted your original post you said that you didn't think you had a serious problem, now you're saying that was just wishful thinking, well, we don't know what you're thinking, we only know what you write.

Your original post doesn't sound at all remorseful. In fact, your OP sounds more like "I'm afraid to get caught" not "I want to stop because I know it's wrong" and that made me mad. You see there are tons of things I want to do but don't because they're wrong.

Stealing is a big deal. Not only is it illegal but we all pay for it. Yes, it makes me mad because instead of taking things I work hard to put food on the table and provide for my family and then people like you just take what you want and I end up paying for that too. Can't you understand why we're mad about that?

The thing is, this is a touchy subject. You'll get people like me that really do think that a bit of time in jail would be the best thing for you. Then you'll get people that think that's too harsh. The fact is, you're a criminal, like it or not and only you have the power to stop.

I hope you find the help you need.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emyth View Post
    I'm for my very first time, disgusted with another human being..... wow..

Great accomplishment.

Perhaps to you this will be a blessing in disguise; But you've compelled me to actually close my account and refrain from ever coming back here for advice.

You're quite the impetuous self righteous clown; undoubtedly the product of confused parenting. Maybe one day you'll reflect on this reading and find yourself in a correlation of truth through a series of hopeful misfortune on your behalf.

After recently learning the frame work for profiling people, I'm sure anyone with fancy reputation and the Noble title of ' Pet expert ' will obsessively-compulsively want to reply and have their last word in. I don't plan on checking this thread again I have more important things to do like finish off my college degree; so have at it; you've earned it.
    LMAO!

I know you'll read it, just like you couldn't help but post this you won't be able to help but read what I write.

As for the post you quoted, that was meant to lighten the mood. It wasn't hurtful to anyone and was meant as a joke. Unlike your joke which was rude and uncalled for.

Self righteous clown, good one. :p There are people whose opinions matter to me and people whose opinions don't, want to guess what list you're on?

You can't delete your account but you can refrain from participating, so good bye, can't say that I'll miss you.

As for my "title" it's just a title, why are you so afraid of it?

Would you like me to list all the titles that actually matter to me?

Wife
    Mother
    Daughter

Those are the things that really matter. Of course I'm also a college graduate, but in the long run, in life, that doesn't matter as much as you seem to think it does.

Good bye
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2009, 10:31 PM

I for one think you would look great in big floppy shoes and a red nose alty. LOL ;)

Oops :eek: ::running away::
    Ashriel Posts: 52, Reputation: 8

Oct 28, 2009, 12:13 AM
    WOW !

I really truly read every word people post here in response, and I try to see things from their view and understand what I can learn.
    But damn, never before have I not been helped in the least as blatantly as this thread. It's like I asked for the recipe of red velvet cake because I want to make one for my gay friend, and then got chewed out because not only do I want to make it for a GAY person but red velvet cake harms EVERYONE AROUND YOU !

Hard analogy to understand... but the point stands.

Jail time?? I've stolen like 15 books and $30 worth of makeup. TOTAL. Over an 8 month period. I am a criminal in some very small sense, (because hell, we're all criminals if you've ever sped on the highway) and I know that. I know I shouldn't steal.
    Thanks everyone for repeating it over... and over... and over.
    Thanks also for getting mad about it. That's awesome.

Also... why should it matter why I want to stop? Isn't what matters the fact that I know it's wrong and I want to stop? Period?

I'm most likely going to go find another source of information and advice. Based on the response, this was so not the proper place to go. I have never felt more judged and less helped.

I'm officially done with the thread. Good luck to all of you. Thanks to the few who gave a tidbit of advice.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 01:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashriel View Post
    WOW !

I really truly read every word people post here in response, and I try to see things from their view and understand what I can learn.
    But damn, never before have I not been helped in the least as blatantly as this thread. It's like I asked for the recipe of red velvet cake because I want to make one for my gay friend, and then got chewed out because not only do I want to make it for a GAY person but red velvet cake harms EVERYONE AROUND YOU !

Hard analogy to understand....but the point stands.

Jail time??! I've stolen like 15 books and $30 worth of makeup. TOTAL. Over an 8 month period. I am a criminal in some very small sense, (because hell, we're all criminals if you've ever sped on the highway) and I know that. I know I shouldn't steal.
    Thanks everyone for repeating it over...and over...and over.

also....why should it matter why I want to stop? isn't what matters the fact that I know it's wrong and I want to stop? Period?

I'm most likely going to go find another source of information and advice. Based on the response, this was so not the proper place to go. I have never felt more judged and less helped.

I'm officially done with the thread. Good luck to all of you. Thanks to the few who gave a tidbit of advice.
    I offered you genuine advice, because you have a genuine problem. You're welcome for my "tidbit", however, this is as weak as a thanks can get.

If you don't have an SA chapter in your area, you still can get help. Don't stop looking.

I wish you luck.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 01:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emyth View Post
    I'm for my very first time, disgusted with another human being..... wow..

Great accomplishment.

WOW, this is the first time you've been disgusted with another human being? You must have lead a very short, sheltered, life.

You've offered NO HELP WHATSOEVER here.

You finish your education. Ride your high horse to your ten dollar word class. Oh, don't forget your ferret, you might need a friend. You've earned it.

And I'm sure you've read this, and it's chapping your butt that you can't reply.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Jail time??! I've stolen like 15 books and $30 worth of makeup. TOTAL. Over an 8 month period. I am a criminal in some very small sense, (because hell, we're all criminals if you've ever sped on the highway) and I know that. I know I shouldn't steal.
    Thanks everyone for repeating it over...and over...and over.

also....why should it matter why I want to stop? isn't what matters the fact that I know it's wrong and I want to stop? Period?
    Ashriel, on the off chance that you do continue to read this, stores are not treating shoplifting like a small part of doing business anymore.

15 books at an average of $7 each is $105. Depending on the type of book and it's price the amount is probably much higher. Add the $30 for make-up and the total is now $130 plus any other 'small' items that you didn't think amounted to anything. I would hazard a guess that your total is closer to $200. That doesn't seem like much until you think about that being how it starts for most people who get caught with jewelry and electronics or other higher ticket items.

Part of the reason you are getting defensive and upset is because you know that they are right. That is why you asked about this. It wouldn't have mattered if the first answer was nothing but tips and hand-holding. You would have found some way to be upset about it. Human nature and self-induced guilt cause that reaction.

Why you want to stop matters because if you try to stop without truly understanding and accepting that you have a problem, you won't be successful. Understand that this is going to affect your behavior for the rest of your life.

You want the same 'compassion' as a drug addict, but you don't think you are addicted. Compassion is generally more easily given to those who really can't help themselves. You haven't yet admitted that you don't have control. Instead, you try to make light of it and say it isn't much. 'I don't I have a problem'. 'I am not a big part of the problem'. Like those books, petty shoplifting adds up quickly especially when added security measures and legal costs are added in.

You don't think you have a problem, but you need help. That is a paradox that we can't help you with. It is something that you have to work out in your own mind.

I wish you luck with this and your other concerns.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 05:50 AM
    if it weren't for people committing crimes, unfortunately there would be hundreds of thousands of people without jobs.
    Hello A:

I see now what a sacrifice you make for the public good... Altruistic shoplifting DOES keep people employed. You are to be commended for doing that. Can you imagine how many police officers would be working at Wal Mart if it weren't for you?? Think about how many doughnut shops would go bust if you went straight...

I think you're doing the country a great service. There should be more like you.

excon
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 05:47 PM
    You say you want to stop but you post like you don't think you're doing anything wrong. Stealing isn't a "little bit" wrong; you can't be a "little bit" pregnant; and, despite The Princess Bride, there isn't a "mostly dead."

Until you realize this you will maintain your state of denial and be unable to control this impulse until it's controlled for you by the state.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2009, 10:49 PM
    I went through a short spate of shop stealing when I was younger (much, much younger - and I got caught). But what I'm trying to recall now is how I felt when I was doing it.

From memory, it was sense of boredom and disconnectedness with the world. A sort of 'I'm feeling entitled', feeling, where I didn't associate my actions with any real consequences. I sort of drifted into shops, took things and drifted out.

So, I'm wondering if you need to get busy. Do some real things with your life so that shopping isn't a leisure activity. Play sport, go to the gym, bushwalk, start a band - whatever. Get involved with people that you like and do things with them. Stay out of shops unless you really need something.

Get involved with life and people. The important things. Stick at it. Eventually stealing will become something that you'll look back on and wonder how you could have been so stupid.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 29, 2009, 06:49 AM

I recall some studies that were done on why people shoplift, which is called 'shrinkage' by the stores (victim). All were 'justifications' and not the reason though.

"I once purchased something there and it didn't work."

"They were rude to me once."

"They're a large company, they won't miss it at all."

"When I tried to return something, they wouldn't take it back."

"I needed it, and they had it."

"They make so much money, I deserve this."

There were more, but at the moment I can't recall...

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplift [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a college student from Windsor and I shopped at somerset mall today in Detroit area. I tried to shoplift at the body shop and the salesperson almost caught me so I paid for that skincare. But I already had some subjects in my bag that I shoplifted from other stores before. I know it was wrong...

Shoplift in canada,alberta [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a foreign worker here in Canada,Alberta.My W-1 visa already expire last Aug 2008 but my working permit still valid until May 2010.I was caught of shoplifting last Mar 1,2008 first offence.I was brought to the police station and release without doing finger printing nor picture taking.The police...

My niece was involved in a shoplift. [ 1 Answers ]

My niece, was arrested for shoplifting at sears at a mall in Maryland one year ago.she stole a bracelet priced for $7 or $8( I do not really remember.)... a police officer came to the security room , pictures of her were taken and ,she was asked not to go to the mall for a period of one year....

SHOPLIFT Montreal (-5000) -Suggestions? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everybody! Last Sunday I stole a pair of jeans($108) from a store in montreal, I got caught in the parking lot by undercover security guys, I didn't deny or resist to anything... We went to a small office where the asked me for ids, the filled a report wich I never saw and they made me...

View more questions Search