Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I am going to pass I can't trust the eagles D. Spoken like a true Eagles fan!!!!
    Come on, they're ranked 2nd this week. It ain't every day you get offered a fine offensive player for a DST. ;)
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 12, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The race for the 23rd was much closer than anyone suspected. There are recounts going on and absentee ballots counted and the difference in the vote total is shrinking.
    Recanvassing shows NY-23 race tightens even as Rep. Bill Owens is sworn into House seat | News from The Post-Standard -

Significant in this is the fact that Owens flipped on his opposition to Pelosi-care and voted with the majority last week. In retrospect ;Hoffman should have waited to concede.
    What are the rules? If Hoffman conceded early and it turns out that he actually won, does he have recourse to "unconcede" the election and take his congressional seat? Was the election result certified yet (which based on precedent would mean that the results stand as they are)? If it turns out the Hoffman won and is now seated, will Owens' votes in Congress be reversed if it turns out that he was seated in error? Is this the basis for overturning the health care reform vote in the House and demanding a re-vote? Does anyone know of any law or precedent in such a case?

This has lots of ramifications.

And when are the pollsters, candidates, and talking heads going to learn to stop calling elections before all the votes are counted? Hasn't the practice of calling elections early based on early returns resulted in enough troubles over the past 10 years?

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Conklin said the state sent a letter to the House Clerk last week explaining that no winner had been determined in the 23rd District, and therefore the state had not certified the election. But the letter noted that Owens still led by about 3,000 votes, and that the special election was not contested -- two factors that legally allowed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to swear in Owens on Friday.

"We sent a letter to the clerk laying out the totals," Conklin said. "The key is that Hoffman conceded, which means the race is not contested. However, all ballots will be counted, and if the result changes, Owens will have to be removed."
    If he wins he wins.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2009, 03:32 AM

This is unchartered territory. Madame Mimi should not have been permitted to sware him in until the State certified the vote. I have more research to do.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2009, 08:59 AM

Hoffman has "unconceded " .

Hoffman 'unconcedes' in N.Y.-23 House race - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

I don't know what this means since Owens has already been sworn into the job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My due date is April 23rd [ 18 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the exact date I got pregnant this guy that I got pregnant by is trying to say the dates don't add up and I never slept with anyone else for months. Can you help me?

How to shift the case from one district to another district? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in the year 2006.a female child was born in the year 2007.Now due to some misunderstanding my husband has filed case against me in his district.Now I am under the care of my parents along with my child.Now my question is I want to shift the case from his district to my district. Since...

23rd street body piercing [ 1 Answers ]

so there's a place in OKC that looks VERY clean, they have a virtual tour on the computer with all rescent pictures and u can pull the pics around to view the entire room. It's pretty cool. Anyway. I think that's where I want to go to get my BB done. Now it's off to ask my mom about it but anyway...

Congressional Reconstruction [ 2 Answers ]

What the congressional reconstruction greatest accomplishments

View more questions Search