Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 2, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello tom:

This isn't really about NY. It just a precursor of how the Republicans are gonna act nationwide. They're moving to the right hoping to find a LOT of people there just waiting for them to catch up....

I actually, think you're going to find oblivion out there. I asked Elliot which party these right wing masses are members of NOW. He didn't seem to know.

excon
    So let me get this straight.

You already think that Hoffman is going to win because of this shift to the right. You said so here:

"But, since you discarded the Republican, and embraced the third party candidate, you ensured his win..."

And this is taking place in NY, one of the most liberal states in the union.

But you think that the REST of the country is somewhere to the left or moderate.

You are essentially saying that a rightward shift, which is showing success in liberal NY is going to fail in the rest of the country, which is ALREADY to the right of NY.

Does this stance make any sense to anyone besides excon?

As to where these Conservatives are right now... they're waiting for the rest of the party to move to the right and join them. They're out there... always have been. They are the ones who voted for Bush twice despite the loud discontent of so much of the country. They are the ones who supported the Iraq surge, despite the anti-war position of so much of the country. They are the ones showing up in the poll I posted in the other thread. They show up when they're needed.

Elliot
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    As to where these Conservatives are right now... they're waiting for the rest of the party to move to the right and join them. They're out there... always have been....

Elliot
    A coalition of seniors (that's right, those on Medicare) and conservatives could constitute a political tsunami in 2010 and 2012. Ha ha ha! The Demorcratic Party throwing seniors under the bus, indeed!
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 10:11 AM

Elliot, it's the same kind of logic that would lead to Frank Rich to claim the rejection of one RINO in NY-23 is tantamount to a Stalinist purge.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 11:01 AM

"Fearful that the party had almost no chance of winning the Nov. 3 New York special election after Republican nominee Dede Scozzafava abruptly announced Saturday that she was dropping out, high-ranking national Democrats immediately began working to secure her endorsement of Democrat Bill Owens, POLITICO has learned.

"On Sunday afternoon, their vigorous efforts paid off as Scozzafava bucked her own party and issued a statement supporting Owens over Conservative Party nominee Doug Hoffman, a coup for Democrats, who recognized that their best remaining chance of winning the Republican-leaning seat on Tuesday was to swing disaffected Scozzafava supporters their way. By Sunday night, Scozzafava had taped her endorsement and it was being delivered via robo-call into targeted district households."
    Winning Dede Scozzafava: How Democrats got her nod - Jonathan Martin and Charles Mahtesian - POLITICO.com

Need any further proof that the Democrat and northeastern Republican party are joined at the hip? Any word whether Arlen Specter is campaigning for the Democrat?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Nov 2, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    So let me get this straight.

You already think that Hoffman is going to win because of this shift to the right. You said so here:

"But, since you discarded the Republican, and embraced the third party candidate, you ensured his win..."

And this is taking place in NY, one of the most liberal states in the union.

But you think that the REST of the country is somewhere to the left or moderate.

You are essentially saying that a rightward shift, which is showing success in liberal NY is going to fail in the rest of the country, which is ALREADY to the right of NY.

Does this stance make any sense to anyone besides excon?

As to where these Conservatives are right now... they're waiting for the rest of the party to move to the right and join them. They're out there... always have been. They are the ones who voted for Bush twice despite the loud discontent of so much of the country. They are the ones who supported the Iraq surge, despite the anti-war position of so much of the country. They are the ones showing up in the poll I posted in the other thread. They show up when they're needed.

Elliot

Also see Lamont vs Lieberman in Conn. Compared to Lamont, Joe is conservative, and he won.

G&P
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 03:48 PM

The AP is already pre-spinning the election results for tomorrow...
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 03:53 PM

Any word whether Arlen Specter is campaigning for the Democrat?
    Oh he's running all right ;for a 6th term.He faces both a liberal challenge in the Democrat primaries by Democratic Congressman Joe Sestak ,and may face Republican Pat Toomey (Club for Growth) in the 2010 general election if he survives the primary.
    Specter's approval rating is at 23%.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 05:49 AM

The Republican leadership... late to recognizing reality have taken the opportunity of the Scozzafava endorsement of Democrat Owens to give their public mea culpas.

Boehner regrets Scozzafava support - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

I have to ask Minority Leader Boehner if this is what he considers leadership ? You wonder why the Republicans are in trouble ? It's not the conservatives ;it's the wishy washy leadership that would accept and support a candidate that was so radically left as to garner the support of the Daily Kossack's Markos Moulitsas .Instead of leading the party they are now jumping on a bandwagon that began rolling months ago.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 07:33 AM

"In what could be a nightmare scenario for Republican Party officials, conservative activists are gearing up to challenge leading GOP candidates in more than a dozen key House and Senate races in 2010."
    Uncivil War: Conservatives to challenge a dozen GOP candidates - Charles Mahtesian and Alex Isenstadt - POLITICO.com
    Actually, there is no 'nightmare'; this may characterize the perspective of some on the inside. Every roach and rodent perceives fumigation as some kind of nightmare. Some of these bozos are incumbants, but they do not have tenure.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950 View Post
    "In what could be a nightmare scenario for Republican Party officials, conservative activists are gearing up to challenge leading GOP candidates in more than a dozen key House and Senate races in 2010."
    Hello George:

It WAS a nightmare last night, but not for who you thought it would be. It appears that consuming yourselves is NOT a good idea.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Hello George:

It WAS a nightmare last night, but not for who you thought it would be. It appears that consuming yourselves is NOT a good idea.
    Explain, what was the nightmare?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Hello Steve:

You lost a solidly Republican seat as a result of the two right wing camps consuming each other. The Democrat would NEVER have won had that not happened.

Course, you can spin it as a victory. I'm anxious to hear how.

excon
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    That the Eagles lost first place to the cowboys. Oh wait wrong thread!!
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Nov 4, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Hello Steve:

You lost a solidly Republican seat as a result of the two right wing camps consuming each other. The Democrat would NEVER have won had that not happened.

excon
    Let's see... we won the governorship of NJ, one of the most solidly Democrat states in the union.

We won Virginia, a state that Obama won by a landslide 15% last year.

And we lost in the NY's 23rd District of NY by 4%... despite the fact that Hoffman had no support from the GOP throughout the campaign, and Owens had the support of both the DNC and his other opponent, Scozzafava. With everything stacked against him, Hoffman made it a very close race.

Then there's NY's Westchester County, where Spano was ousted by Astorino in a 15% win. Keep in mind that Dems outnumber Reps by 2:1 in Westchester county.

Face it, excon. The Dems got gutted last night. It was a relatively small gut wound, but it is bleeding profusely. Next year, the gutting will be completed.

But you can try to spin last night as a Republican defeat if you'd like... as a matter of fact, I encourage it.

"Never interrupt the enemy when he is making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon Bonaparte

Keep denying what is happening right before your eyes. Please.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Nightmare ? Lol it was a nightmanre for President Obama who invested 5 separate appearances in NJ to support Corzine .

It was a nightmare for the Dems, in Westchester County .Westchester has been solid blue for over a decade . Conservative Republican Rob Astorino smoked the incumbent Democratic County Executive Andy Spano .Voters rejected the Democratic incumbent's bid for a fourth term, opting instead for a candidate who pledged to downsize government and cut the highest county taxes in the nation

Astorino's victory came despite the Democrat 2-1 margin over Republicans of registered voters in Westchester county .

Here is the truth of the NY 23rd results .

The Democrat candidate Owens was able to squeak out a victory . Over the weekend the Repubic candidate Dede Scozzafava dropped out of the race and then showing her true colors gave her endorsement to Democrat Owens.

The difference in the race is that she was still on the ballot and got about 5% from the faithful . Hoffman would have won if not for the votes Scozzafava received.Not sure how many of these were absentee ballots .

She is a long time party hack and did have a bit of a loyal following including regional unions .She's been an elected official and GOP leader for a decade.

The NY and national media smeared Hoffman and portrayed him as a rightwing extremist beholden to Rush Limbaugh and Palin which did hurt him a little with libertarian voters in the district.

But still he had a very strong showing despite his late entry into the race and lack of organization that the major parties have.

If you have never seen the NY State ballots ,with the multiple minor party slots it can be confusing for people to find their candidate if they are not in the A or B locations. Also many people from both parties still vote straight party line. To come within a few points of winning there under those circumstances is a major statement .

The fact that Hoffman made the race close is a good sign for next year. Conservatism isn't easy to sell to people used to having their government handout every day, getting it massaged with other peoples money.

But the conservatives have scattered the mustard seeds.(Luke 13:18–19). Let the 2010 primaries begin!
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    That the Eagles lost first place to the cowboys. Oh wait wrong thread!!!!
    Yeah well that could change this week.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 03:16 PM
    No need, tom and Elliot jumped right on it.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 03:23 PM

I did not even mention the fact that in 2 major races the Dems lost by a combined total of 500,000 votes and the Dems won the NY 23rd by about 4-5,000. The tally of the combined races was a Republican victory of 55-42% overall in precincts that voted for Obama 56-44 last year . Keep in mind that Christe lost some anti Democrat Crozine votes to Independent candidate Daggert and still cruized to a comfortable victory.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 03:48 PM

Tweet of the day yesterday by Jake Tapper:

NBC's "The Biggest Loser" is at the White House tonight. This is not a joke.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Nightmare ? lol it was a nightmanre for President Obama who invested 5 separate appearances in NJ to support Corzine .
    Let's see - Obama and Carter, a parallel is developing. Busy politicking for liberal cover, but dithering on the troops and the war he endorsed. Doesn't have time to make a decision honoring his general's request for additional troops, indeed. Obama is frittering away his goodwill; good riddance!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My due date is April 23rd [ 18 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the exact date I got pregnant this guy that I got pregnant by is trying to say the dates don't add up and I never slept with anyone else for months. Can you help me?

How to shift the case from one district to another district? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in the year 2006.a female child was born in the year 2007.Now due to some misunderstanding my husband has filed case against me in his district.Now I am under the care of my parents along with my child.Now my question is I want to shift the case from his district to my district. Since...

23rd street body piercing [ 1 Answers ]

so there's a place in OKC that looks VERY clean, they have a virtual tour on the computer with all rescent pictures and u can pull the pics around to view the entire room. It's pretty cool. Anyway. I think that's where I want to go to get my BB done. Now it's off to ask my mom about it but anyway...

Congressional Reconstruction [ 2 Answers ]

What the congressional reconstruction greatest accomplishments

View more questions Search