Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alycutie09 Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Nov 5, 2006, 04:09 PM
    My cat won't use the litter box!
    HELP Help
    My 6 month old outside/inside kitten won't use her litter box
    She pees and poos on my furniture and blankets and wood flooring.
    I tried to teach her but it didn't help.
    PLEASE HELP I AM DESPIRET:eek:
    :eek:
    :eek: :confused:
    :confused:
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Watch her, catch her in action.
    Pick her up, smack her (not so hard obviously there's so much a little kitty can take), yell NOOOO at her, then take her to her litter box...

Try that eventutally she may learn?

She is neutuered?
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Nov 6, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alycutie09
    HELP Help
    my 6 month old outside/inside kitten won't use her litter box
    she pees and poos on my furniture and blankets and wood flooring.
    i tried to teach her but it didn't help.
    There's no need to 'smack' the kitten, but catching her in the act and squirting her with water seems to deter most cats without harming them.
    Has she ever used the litter box? Perhaps it is in a place that is inconvenient for her or she has not been properly introduced to the box and it's location? Try placing her in it and scratching her front paws in the litter.
    At 6 months old and goes outside she is old enough to get pregnant and should be spayed ASAP.

Nov 6, 2006, 03:00 PM
    Yes she is spayed
    And I have tried the paw thing
    And it didn't work
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2006, 03:09 PM
    Some cats simply don't take to litter boxes as quickly as others do - it does sound like she has a bit of a problem... I suggest taking her to the vets for a general health check... it could be pshycological or it could be she has a problem in that department and can't quite make it to the litter box in time. The vets are the experts and a health check won't hurt. Besides if you have not already done so you must make sure that she gets her jabs and is de-wormed and de-fleaed
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 6, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Okay, first DO NOT EVER HIT AN ANIMAL!!
    Second, get her spayed. Cats can go into heat as early as 4 months and have their first litter at 6 months.
    Third, she is still young enough to retrain her. Many people give up way too early and then have to keep dealing with a non litter box user. Take the necessary time and retrain her right. She needs to be kept in a floor cage, laundry room, or another small area for AT LEAST a MONTH!! If you ever take her out she MUST be under constant supervision. If she goes potty outside the litterbox, firmly tell her NO and take her to her litterbox. I wouldn't let her out of the area if she goes straight away to an inappropriate place. Also go to www.ddfl.org. The behavioral area has great tips.

While keeping her pinned up may seem harsh, it is better that booting her outside or surrendering her to shelter that will only kill her!
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Nov 6, 2006, 05:49 PM
    It is hard to train an indoor-outdoor cat to use the litter box. When they are outside, they can go wherever they want. When they enter your home, they will repeat this behavior inside; a cat should almost instinctively use a litter box. You might want to start over if you can. Try bringing kitty in for a few days. Lock the kitty in a small room if you have it, with just a water bowl and feed bowl and the litter box. A laundry room or bathroom is a great room for this. In a smaller room, kitty will almost be forced to have to use the box. Thing you may want to do it switch litters, trying different ones until you find something that kitty prefers. Place kitty in the litter box from time to time. It may sound cruel in to lock kitty in a small room, but pottying in the wrong places is the number one reason cats end up in shelter. Try keeping kitty in for a few days, so he gets the hang of inside, hopefully this will work for you. I run a animal rescue and we have had several kitty that have done this, this almost always works for me and the kitty, but notice I said almost.

I have listed two links below that may be of some help to you.

Urinating Outside of the Litter Box

Litter Box Training: The Basics

Good luck with your kitty I do wish you the best (O:
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2006, 01:55 AM
    WOW I shouldn't have used the smack word.
    I don't harm animals, I love animals esp cats, I have 2.
    I mean just a small small smack, just a touch to make them realise you are angry, but yes a squirty bottle of water does do the trick.

Nov 7, 2006, 06:16 PM
    She Is Spayed And I Wouldn't Hit An Animal Either
    But My Vet Told Us How We Should Teach Our Cat And She Learned
    But Thank You For All The Tips On How To Teach Her
    i wont to be a vet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 12:14 AM
    HELP Help
    Well she could have a medical problem or maybe you should put her with the litter box and close the door(best place laundry) and stay outside for about 10 minutes and see if she has used the litter box.
    Lluv I won't to be a vet.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 5, 2007, 08:03 PM
    I give mine a firm but not hard tap with one finger. I have watched the mother of my kittens do this to correct them and it works well. The tap of her paws could be no harder than the tap of my finger.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 08:02 PM
    I would make her stay in until she got the hang of the litter box. Outside she can pee &poo everywhere so she is likely confused. Also make sure you scoop the litter box daily. At least once per week I would wash it completely and rinse with vinegar diluted with water. She would be confined to one room unless I was able to keep an eye on her. I am not one for squirting a cat with water but you may have to resort to drastic measures but you may have to do this if you catch her in action. I have never had a momma with kittens so I have no clue on how she would handle this. Is your cat spayed? Problems can occur like this with unspayed kittens marking, tenderness from being in heat and also UtI's. But it is probably just confusion as to where she should go at.
    stlouisarmygirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 02:04 PM
    When I get a cat I put the litter box in a room uncarpeted and close the door with food and water overnight. That will make them almost have to use the box because they are shut in the room and its like their den. Kind of like kennel training a dog.
    katie1996 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 09:22 AM
    HELP Help
    Keep her in one room with tiles in-(possibly) which you don't mind her peeing or pooing on. Put the litter tray in the middle and praise her to go in quietly. That worked with my 9 week old kitten!!
    CuteCourtney173 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alycutie09 View Post
    HELP Help
    Yea same here my cat is 3 1/2 months old and half the time she goes in her litter box and the other half she would its weird and we have to lock her in the londry room cause thts wear her litter box and I don't want to do that anymore cause I feel bad
    I JUST Don't WHAT TO DO!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Any tips on litter box training an adult cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My kitty saga continues! We are going to try to litter box train the adult cat we took in. I want her to be as adoptable as possible. I put a litter box in her shed but so far she has not used it. The kittens haven't used the paper I put down, but that may be because they are so young. Any...

My cat and her litter box [ 10 Answers ]

I have two cats (a male and a female). My female cat uses the litter box, then instead of covering her urine or poop, she just walks away. A minute or so later, my male cat will go into the litter box and cover it up for her. I have never seen this behavior before and I am wondering why she...

Cat Goes Outside Litter Box [ 20 Answers ]

We have 4 cats! Only one of them, either goes Poop in the Litter Box and does not cover it up or drops the Poop on the floor just next to the Litter Box. It is a neutered 3 yr. old male. Any suggestions of how to correct this problem?

Oh my cat won't use the litter box [ 1 Answers ]

My male cat is about 1 year and in my old place he went to the litter box and then he became a full time outdoor cat and just came in at night to sleep and eat but never used the litter bow now I have moved out into a new place and I don’t want him to run away but he will not use the litter bow he...

View more questions Search