Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sister_in_need Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2004, 07:39 PM
    Can't file bankruptcy need advice
    My sister needs advice. Her husband has been out of work for 5 months and is having trouble finding work. She is 4 months pregnant and makes minimum wage. Total credit card debt is about $70k. She looked into filing for bankruptcy, but they will loose their house if she does. She has about $5000 in cash and about $12000 in a retirment account. Should she use the cash and retirement to payoff some debt? Her hubby does not see the seriousness of the situation and is not trying very hard to find work. Is it better to keep the cash available and try to work with the credit card companies to reduce her payments which she cannot afford on her salary alone? Where should she start? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    youareceo Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2004, 08:43 AM
    Can't file bankruptcy need advice
    They don't have much to collect. Most of her wages are exempt anyway, methinks. What state are you in? I need to know to tailor my response.

Most likely, she is judgment proof anyway. I wouldn't pay at all, if they can't come after anything anyway.

Your state name is the key. This should be cut and dry.

Jon
    [email protected]

The preceding is not legal advice, is not from a licensed debt counselor, and is not provided to persons from states which providing such information requires a license.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should Poor Seniors File Bankruptcy? [ 6 Answers ]

Help! My parents have $45,000. In credit card bills. They are living on social security benefits plus they have $35,000. In a savings account and they rent their home. If they continue to make their $1000. A month minimum payments they will run out of savings within two years. I have advised them...

Big debt, Need to file bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I really need to file bankruptcy. I am not sure how to go about it or what chapter is right for me to file. I don't even know what I should ask a lawyer about. I will be getting married very soon and I don't want my debt to effect his good credit. We will be signing a prenupt but I really need...

File for bankruptcy in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

If I file for bankruptcy in Canada will I lose my Child Tax Benefit payments ? I have no other source of income. Thanks.

Bankruptcy advice [ 3 Answers ]

I recently filed for bankruptcy and received a full discharge of my debts. One of the debts I listed was a personal loan from an acquaintance. I promised her that I would pay her back despite the bankruptcy and that I only wanted to list what I owed her to help ensure my discharge. She and I are...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search